Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Purchasing Variable Speed Pump

1. Back To Top    #1

Purchasing Variable Speed Pump

Hi everyone,

I am kind of skeptical as which of the following pumps I should consider purchasing. The reason for replacing my current 1 HP single speed pump is to conserve in electricity usage and consequently lowering my electricity bill.

1. Pentair SuperFlo VS Variable Speed Pump for $660
    2. Sta-Rite SuperMax VS 1.5HP Variable Speed Pool Pump for $636

I also understand that the Hayward EcoStar Variable Speed Pump ($875) and Pentair IntelliFlo VS Variable Speed Pump - 011018 ($843) are very popular pumps in the market, however, they are kind of pricey and i am note sure if spending the extra money worth the investment if the above 2 pumps would be sufficient. Please let me know what do you think about these selections.

FYI, my pool is about 17,000 gallons and i live in Anaheim California with electricity rate of $0.16 per kwh. I turn on the pump for about 7 hours a day.

Thanks for your advice in advance

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Purchasing Variable Speed Pump

You will probably come out ahead by going 2 speed instead of VS.

Yes, you are getting that info from the guy with the VF pump. But, it's what I wanted for other reasons than saving money.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

1 & 2 are identical pumps except for their color so there really is no difference.

You should also put the Hayward MaxFlo VS on your list. It is a bit more efficient but has a lower head curve so not appropriate for spas.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

4. Back To Top    #4

I love my intelliflo VS. Like RobbieH, got mine for reasons other than the cost of electricity.
    I know its a personal opinion, but i think the Intelliflo rocks!
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

5. Back To Top    #5

I have the Intelliflo VS. The payback is fairly long for me as my rate starts a .09 per KWH, but it does allow me to find the sweet spot with the HeatPump/Chiller. It sure is quiet.
    19204 Gallon L Shape with a 10X10 2nd Step Baja Ledge. Intellichlor IC-40, IntellipH, Cartridge Filter, Pentair Heater/Chiller (Heat Pump). Tons of Deck with Deck Jets. Construction Complete 6/5/17.

"If you don't measure it, you can't manage it!"

6. Back To Top    #6

Your best bet would probably be to just replace the motor on the pump you have with a two speed motor.
    14k gal IG vinyl, Jandy Flopro 1 hp up-rated, 2 spd pump, Hayward 325 sq ft cartridge filter, Circupool Si-40 SWCG

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks for your response. However, I have cross referenced the prices for a two speed motor and the Pentair SuperFlo VS Variable Speed Pump or Sta-Rite SuperMax VS Pump, and the difference is not too much. As I stated, I am seeking advice as which of the pumps mentioned above would best fit for my situation.

Thanks

8. Back To Top    #8

A two speed motor is about 1/2 the price (~$320) of the cheaper VSs but I can give you a better idea if you tell us your existing pump make/model.

As to which VS is better, they are all good pumps but the cheaper VSs (SuperFlo, SuperMax, MaxFlo) require an external controller or timer while the more expensive VSs do not. That is probably the biggest difference in features between the two "types" of VS pumps. So your best choice will depend on what you now have for pump control.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

9. Back To Top    #9

I echo Mark in that a replacement motor (not the whole pump) is the best way to go. I did it and never looked back. A replacement two speed motor should be under $300 for a 1 Hp unit.
    7,500 gal, IG pool, L shape 22' x 15', 1.5 hp pump, cartridge filter, AquaPlus SWG/Controller, Pebble-Tec liner.

10. Back To Top    #10

Thanks for your advices. I have currently 1 HP Hayward Northstar. Please let me know what 2 speed motor do you recommend?

Thanks

11. Back To Top    #11

Which model? SP4010 or the SP4007x10?
    Mark

12. Back To Top    #12

Its SP1607 Z1MNSC

- - - Updated - - -

Here is a picture of the pump specs:Pump Pic.jpg

13. Back To Top    #13

That appears to be the 1 HP up rated motor that normally comes with the SP4007x10 but you should double check for the Pump Model (not motor) which should be on the side of the wet end right above the large Hayward label.

Also, do you know if your current motor is wired for 230v or 115v and can you wire it for either?
    Mark

14. Back To Top    #14

Thanks, the Model is SP4007x10 as you stated it.
    As for the voltage, I am not sure. I don't have any equipment to measure the voltage!!

15. Back To Top    #15

The label on the motor shows two ways of wiring the motor, one for low voltage (i.e. 115 volts) and another for high voltage (i.e. 230 volts). If you can tell which of those two ways the motor is wired, you will know which voltage you are using.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

16. Back To Top    #16

TFP Guide

You can check the breaker for the pump. It will be a single width like most of the breakers if 110 or double width like "3" in the photo similar to what you'd use for an electric stove or dryer.
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. ? too cold
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit - TFTestkits.net
    Please help keep the lights on, become a TFP Supporter!

17. Back To Top    #17

You should be able to tell by looking at the breaker. A 230v breaker is a double breaker with the switches tied together.

Also, to be able to tackle a motor or pump swap, you should be comfortable working with AC wiring so if you have never done this type of work before, you should probably hire someone.
    Mark

18. Back To Top    #18

TFP Guide

This would be another style of 220 breaker as refered to above. It's two 110s tied together.
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. ? too cold
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit - TFTestkits.net
    Please help keep the lights on, become a TFP Supporter!

19. Back To Top    #19

Quote Originally Posted by pars
    .. speed pump is to conserve in electricity usage and consequently lowering my electricity bill...
    Just a contrasting reason for a variable speed... the highest priority for us was noise abatement aka "running silent".

20. Back To Top    #20

Two speed on low speed is pretty quite too. I can't hear mine until I am right next to it.
    Mark

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast