Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Staining(?) tile grout

1. Back To Top    #1

Staining(?) tile grout

All-

Recently finished a pool resurface. We went from white plaster to a blue pebble. Along the way, all the white hardware (eyeballs, etc.) got switched to black.

We had a round grate in the middle of a tile covering an overflow line. It got switched to a black rectangular grate. The grate is as tall as the overflow line but a lot wider. The grate spacings that were outside of the line and over shell/plaster/whatever's behind the tile, were filled with tan/gray grout, so it's a "striped design". I wanted to stain the grout black to match the grate.

Question is, what's the correct thing to use here? Grout stain from the box store? Something else since (hopefully) the pool tile grout is different that tile floor grout? Black-colored grout on top?

Thanks!

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Staining(?) tile grout

If you do not use the grout stain from the box store, I would simply use ordinary exterior house paint. The grout surface is so porous, I think a couple of coats might last a very long time.

Grout must be bone, bone dry if you use house paint. The grout coloring might give you better leeway.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Staining(?) tile grout

Thanks! Will go the grout coloring route.