adding muriatic acid ?

It's tough on your heater to have that corrosive stuff running through it and not so good for anything else either. I mix a little in a bucket of pool water and then add it to the pool. The I store the MA jug in the empty bucket to contain it in the event of a leak.

" Pool School says:
Muriatic acid should be added to the pool by pouring slowly in front of a return jet with the pump running. You should pour slowly enough that pouring an entire jug takes more than two minutes. Leave the pump running for at least 30 minutes after adding muriatic acid. "

dang , how'd I miss that

:oops:

well I've only done it a few times

I did get a good deal on a case of 10% liquid chlorine today though

Thanks as usual

I've added MA 3X - so, have pretty limited experience.

However, every time I've added it has been at night with flood lights on and minimal to no wind.

Even with what seems like ZERO wind that stuff can get ya!

The dark combined w/ flood lights allowed me to see the fumes rising out of the jug and it was a trip to see. Looked almost like smoke rising out of the jug, trailing along with the breeze - very thankful that I wasn't in it's path the first time or I would have taken a face full!

The subsequent 2 times that I used MA, i made sure to uncap and hightail outta there and observe from afar to see which way the wind was blowing before approaching from the other side!

Point being - even if you lower the jug into the water and pour slowly, I'd imagine that you could still expect to potentially get a waft of that stuff right in the kisser if you are unlucky.

I've been pouring it into the skimmer return , could that be problematic to the filter cartridges ?
The jets "return" water to the pool. The skimmer is not a "return". It takes water.

I prefer there to be some wind when I pour HCl. That way I know which way to stand. I've got a whiff on a still day once or twice. Wow. I imagine that is what snorting vinegar feels like. Oh, and the close bottle out gases and will eat metals, so be careful where you store it. My laundry room cabinets have rusted hardware on the inside now.

I pre-dilute my MA in a 5gal bucket with pool water. Then pour it in front of a deep end return. I haven't added more than 32oz MA per 5 gal bucket. I'm not sure if it helps much. But the less aggressive acid pouring into the pool doesn't release nearly as offensive a gas as straight MA.

I was pre-diluting my chlorine. But decided that was excessive.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.