I recently set up a small, seasonal-type Intex Easy Set pool- about 1,000 gallons. I've been using the 1" pucks in a floating dispenser. Purchased an extremely basic test kit and the readings that it offered seemed within the acceptable limits according to the directions.
Total Chlorine: 2.5, PH: 7.6
I'd been running the pump for about 4 hrs per day, 2 in am/ 2 in pm, which seemed like it would provide adequate turnover.
I saw some hth test strips at my big box store last weekend and picked them up because I was curious- readings from those were:
CYA: 30-50 (strips just give a range for this color)
I was worried at that zero under free chlorine and started googling... very happy to have found you guys. Monday I added some "shock" by the same manuf. as the pucks according to the bag directions and while the other readings stayed the same, the free chlorine went up to between 5 and 10. Just tested a bit ago and the FC is 5, Total chlorine is at 3+ (color matched the "3" color yellow).
Seems like 5 is ok for FC, but should I be worried about that total chlorine reading and not use the pool this weekend? Still don't completely understand TC vs CC. I've been keeping it covered to keep as much debris as possible out of it and haven't had a chance to use it since adding the "shock". Have just been looking at the test results intermittently.
I understand that this forum really promotes a different type of pool care but I'm (literally) just getting my feet wet... If you could bear with me I'd appreciate it.
Thanks much for your assistance!