Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Current Sensor/relay switching for SWG

1. Back To Top    #1

Current Sensor/relay switching for SWG

I have a EcoTech VS motor on a Hayward SuperPump. The motor is directly wired to the breaker in my pool panel. My SWG is also wired to a breaker in my pool panel. I was relying on the flow switch to stop the SWG from generating. I have been getting errors on the SWG after the pump turns off. If I start the pump and cycle power on the SWG, the errors go away. I needed a solution to switch the SGW with the pump.

I got my idea from this thread: http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...-Control-Relay and thins book: http://books.google.com/books?id=2qS...0relay&f=false

I have ordered the following:

The current sensor is self powered so it doesn't need external power.

I will update the thread when I get the items in and installed.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Pool Details: 25,440 Gal IG Vinyl 21x40 Mountain Pond (Graphex)
    Filter: Hayward Micro-Clear DE (48 Sq Ft)
    Pump: Hayward SP2603VSP VS Super Pump
    SWG: Circupool Si45
    Cleaner: Pentair Kreepy Krauly Prowler 820

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Current Sensor/relay switching for SWG

That is great pricing. I look forward to seeing how it works out.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

I don't think your connections are right. Try connecting one side of the contact from the current sensing relay to terminal 2 of the power relay. The other side of the contact from the current sensing relay should then connect to terminal 0 of the power relay. Terminal 1 of the power relay should then be jumpered to terminal 6.

That will put the contact of the current sensing relay in series with the coil of the power relay. When the contact closes, the coil will energize and close the contacts between 2 and 4 and between 6 and 8. The way you have it, the contact will just short out the coil.
    14k gal IG vinyl, Jandy Flopro 1 hp up-rated, 2 spd pump, Hayward 325 sq ft cartridge filter, Circupool Si-40 SWCG

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by sargent View Post
    I don't think your connections are right. Try connecting one side of the contact from the current sensing relay to terminal 2 of the power relay. The other side of the contact from the current sensing relay should then connect to terminal 0 of the power relay. Terminal 1 of the power relay should then be jumpered to terminal 6.

That will put the contact of the current sensing relay in series with the coil of the power relay. When the contact closes, the coil will energize and close the contacts between 2 and 4 and between 6 and 8. The way you have it, the contact will just short out the coil.
    terminal 0 and1 are for the coil for the relay. 2,4,6 and 8 are the switched contacts.
    When the pump is running it will induce a current in wires from the current sensor. This induced current will be enough the energize the coil of the relay and close the contacts, completing the power circuit for the SWG.

5. Back To Top    #5

Okay. I didn't realize the current sensor induced current through the contact.
    14k gal IG vinyl, Jandy Flopro 1 hp up-rated, 2 spd pump, Hayward 325 sq ft cartridge filter, Circupool Si-40 SWCG

6. Back To Top    #6

Watching this thread! Need the same stuff get done!
    Lagoon shape, 23,600 Gal, steel walls by International Swimming Pools, "ultra-seam" liner by Latham, Pentair 011018 IntelliFlo 3HP Variable Speed Pump, PentAir CCP420 filter, Heat Siphon Z575HP, PentAir IC40 SWG, 2 LED Lights (Pentair Intellibrite 5G, 110V). 4 x 1.5’’return lines, 2 x 2’’skimmer lines, 1.5’’ waterfall line. All plumbing is "TigerFlex" pipe, all lines plumbed individually. Deck: travertine glued over concrete.

7. Back To Top    #7

I ordered the relay and sensor yesterday, it is scheduled to be delivered Tuesday. I should have it installed by the end of next weekend.

8. Back To Top    #8

What about using flow sensor switch instead of current sensor? Does it make sense at all?
    Lagoon shape, 23,600 Gal, steel walls by International Swimming Pools, "ultra-seam" liner by Latham, Pentair 011018 IntelliFlo 3HP Variable Speed Pump, PentAir CCP420 filter, Heat Siphon Z575HP, PentAir IC40 SWG, 2 LED Lights (Pentair Intellibrite 5G, 110V). 4 x 1.5’’return lines, 2 x 2’’skimmer lines, 1.5’’ waterfall line. All plumbing is "TigerFlex" pipe, all lines plumbed individually. Deck: travertine glued over concrete.

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by Ukie View Post
    What about using flow sensor switch instead of current sensor? Does it make sense at all?
    Flow switches are not as reliable as a current sensor. flow switch failures are common on hot tubs.

10. Back To Top    #10

What's the operating voltage of your pump and your SWG?
    12 x 26 Viking FG IG, Bermuda Model, 3 1/2' to 5', 7000 Gallons, Diamond Series Maya, Hayward 1 1/2 HP Maxflo VS, Hayward Stay Clear Plus Cart Filter C17502(S), Hayward Aqua Rite SWG w/T3 cell, Color Changing FIBERSTAR Lighting, Aqua Bot Supreme Robotic cleaner, Brushed Concrete with CCI Liberty Tan color, Taylor K-2006 test kit, Armor Foundation penetrating concrete sealer(lifetime warranty).

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by rmturner54 View Post
    What's the operating voltage of your pump and your SWG?
    220V

12. Back To Top    #12

Since both are 220. Why npt leep it simple and wire both pumpm and swg power from ter relay....timer closes. .pump and swg turn on together. ...just my input

12 x 26 Viking FG IG, Bermuda Model, 3 1/2' to 5', 7000 Gallons, Diamond Series Maya, Hayward 1 1/2 HP Maxflo VS, Hayward Stay Clear Plus Cart Filter C17502(S), Hayward Aqua Rite SWG w/T3 cell, Color Changing FIBERSTAR Lighting, Aqua Bot Supreme Robotic cleaner, Brushed Concrete with CCI Liberty Tan color, Taylor K-2006 test kit, Armor Foundation penetrating concrete sealer(lifetime warranty).

13. Back To Top    #13

rmturner54, because he has a EcoTech VS motor with integral timer. There is power to the motor all the time. It turns on and off internally, so there is nothing to wire the SWG to.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

14. Back To Top    #14

Ok...thanls for clearing the cloudy water....lol

15. Back To Top    #15

The sensor and relay were delivered. I just need to find the time to install and wire them up. My priority is getting a bottom body for my Micro-Clear DE filter. I guess I didn't drain it completely this winter and it has a crack in the bottom. I found a used one on craigslist for $55, going to pick it up tonight. It is a re-branded (Leslie's Pool) Micro-Clear.

16. Back To Top    #16

Update: The current sensor is not self powered. It is a current switch. (I was looking at so many current sensors and I must have gotten confused)

Solution: Install a 120V to 24V transformer in the current switch/relay coil circuit.

I placed an order for a transformer http://www.functionaldevices.com/bui...odel=TR20VA001

It was $6.81 from zoro.com.

Total for parts: $30.06.

I will update the wiring diagram and original post when I get it working.

17. Back To Top    #17

I finally got around to installing this 2 years later. I got the transformer, relay and current switch installed this past weekend. The current switch has to low of a trip. My pump draws 0.4A when it is off in each leg. The current switch trips at 0.25A. I ordered a RIBXKTA switch. It has an adjustable trip set point. It will be delivered tomorrow.

This is what I ordered: Functional Devices, Inc. - Products - Building Automation - Current Sensors - RIBXKTA

18. Back To Top    #18

The new current switch was delivered today. I installed it and it works great. Finally my SWG powers on and off with my EcoTech VS motor. I don't have to rely in the flow switch.

19. Back To Top    #19

Quote Originally Posted by acamato View Post
    I finally got around to installing this 2 years later. I got the transformer, relay and current switch installed this past weekend. The current switch has to low of a trip. My pump draws 0.4A when it is off in each leg. The current switch trips at 0.25A. I ordered a RIBXKTA switch. It has an adjustable trip set point. It will be delivered tomorrow.

This is what I ordered: Functional Devices, Inc. - Products - Building Automation - Current Sensors - RIBXKTA
    Do you know why your pump draws 0.4A when it is off in each leg? It should be close to 0A, right?
    By the way, why not use the current switch only? There are some current sensing switch allows up to 2.5A output current.
    2003 Build 20K gallon salt water gunite IG pool, Taylor 2006 test kit, Pentair 011018 IntelliFlo Variable Speed Pump, Pentair IntelliChlor IC40 SWG, Aquabot ABTTJET Turbo T Jet Robot

20. Back To Top    #20

I assume the power is used for the motors controller. I needed to use a relay to switch the SWG. The SWG is 240V. The current switch will not switch 2 120v lines and it is not rated for the current the the motor draws.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast