Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Alkalinity and PH

1. Back To Top    #1

Alkalinity and PH

I finally have my pool clear and trying keep levels up. When I did a test last night it seemed everything was fine but the was in the high range. I have been using liquid chlorine and also pucks in floater.

How do I get Alkalinity down? I know there are products for PH plus/minus.

28' above ground pool
    Hayward Sand Filter
    Hayward Heater

2. Back To Top    #2
    Middle Tennessee

Re: Alkalinity and PH

The only way to lower your TA is to add enough acid (muriatic or dry) to bring your pH down to 7.2, and then aerate the surface of your water to bring the pH back up to around 7.6 or 7.8, and then keep repeating the process until your TA is down to the proper level. Adding the acid will lower both the pH and the TA, and aerating raises the pH only. I'm in the process of lowering mine right now, in fact. Each iteration is dropping it around 5ppm.
    24' x 52" AGP - approx 13,500 gallons
    Pentair Optiflo 1 hp/2sp pump w/ Swimpro Voyager 150 sq ft cartridge filter
    Intex 8110 SWCG
    "Fear the Schnauz!"

3. Back To Top    #3
    Covington, Georgia

Stop using the pucks in your pool. They will make your CYA go up then you will be dealing with having to drain and replace some water to lower it !
    Don't have a pool right now. Just sharing what I have learned over the years!
    Helpful Links:
    Pool School,Pool Calculator,Cl/CYA Shock Chart,TF Test Kit
    Doing BBB and loving it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Flower Mound, TX

Can you give us some test results please? That would help us to know where to go from here.
    10K gallon IG gunite with waterfall; Pentair CC320P filter; WhisperFlo 2 HP pump
    TF Test Kits - Pool Math - Pool School
    "It depends."- JohnT

5. Back To Top    #5
    Jamestown, ND

Hello Christine. I see you found your way to this site as well. Glad to here that you are getting things under control.

These people on this site are awesome.

They will give you the greatest of advise. Take the time to learn in the pool school, and you will be on your way.

Since I have joined on here, I am fully into BBB and have had no problems in the last 2 months whatsoever.

The CYA to Chlorine chart is very usefull and the sooner you can get that under control, the better your pool will look.

Happy swimming.
    Chad R.

POOL SIZE: 16 x 32' Vinyl lined pool. 22,000 gallons. 8' deep. 2009 Hayward 1.5 HP Super Pump. Hayward S310S 30" 500 lb Sand filter. 1 skimmer and 2 returns. Solar Blanket.

Pics of my pool: