Hayward Sand Filter....Replacing Sand really necessary or pool store ripoff?

Romerj

May 21, 2014
Old Bridge, NJ
I have heard from pool store people that you should replace the sand in the sand filter every 3 - 5 years....but then i also hear from people who have sand filters they have never ever done it. Is it necessary or just a poor store ripoff to get you to spend money on sand that you dont need to spend and waste time on?

thanks
John

I was asking cause I just bought a house with inground pool. hayward filter working fine. was just told this by a pool store guy trying to sell me something i didnt think i needed. thats all. Im new and well i wanted to make sure everything is set to go. He stated "test sand by running it through fingers, if its not course then u need to change". Really? im new but not stupid. pump works well

I changed mine out simply because I didn't know how old it was. The real reason was, I just wanted to take it apart and make sure the baffles any everything was ok. It was something I needed to know how it works type of thing I guess.

Take this with a grain of salt, but I read in a few places, each grain of sand is not round. Under a microscope a grain of sand actually has points or spurs, like a snowflake I guess.

Over time these spurs grind away and do not catch small particals. ( sound logical to me )

Thus the argument on should you or should you not replace your sand.

For me, since I'm not a sand expert, I chose to replace mine. Like I said above, I wanted to know how this filter worked, so I took it apart, checked everything and added new sand. Now I know.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.