Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Hayward Sand Filter....Replacing Sand really necessary or pool store ripoff?

1. Back To Top    #1

Hayward Sand Filter....Replacing Sand really necessary or pool store ripoff?

I have heard from pool store people that you should replace the sand in the sand filter every 3 - 5 years....but then i also hear from people who have sand filters they have never ever done it. Is it necessary or just a poor store ripoff to get you to spend money on sand that you dont need to spend and waste time on?

thanks
    John

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Hayward Sand Filter....Replacing Sand really necessary or pool store ripoff?

I think it was Richard320 and Smykowski who said it best. My terrible paraphrase is "The sand has been around for millions of years, why would a few years of pool use necessitate replacement?"

It may indeed need a deep cleaning: Deep Cleaning a Sand Filter but that's only if it's having problems. Is it having problems?
    Last edited by JVTrain; 05-22-2014 at 02:37 PM. Reason: Proper citations... again!
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Hayward Sand Filter....Replacing Sand really necessary or pool store ripoff?

Train's right. There are only a very few scenarios that would require a sand change.

Why are you asking - for curiosity's sake, or because you think there might be something wrong?
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Smykowski View Post
    Train's right. There are only a very few scenarios that would require a sand change.

Why are you asking - for curiosity's sake, or because you think there might be something wrong?
    Updated my post for proper citation.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir

5. Back To Top    #5

I was asking cause I just bought a house with inground pool. hayward filter working fine. was just told this by a pool store guy trying to sell me something i didnt think i needed. thats all. Im new and well i wanted to make sure everything is set to go. He stated "test sand by running it through fingers, if its not course then u need to change". Really? im new but not stupid. pump works well

6. Back To Top    #6

Sounds like your setup will be fine. Give it a good cleaning, but fire it up and see what happens.

@Train, you have to edit it again. I parroted that one from Richard320.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Smykowski View Post
    Sounds like your setup will be fine. Give it a good cleaning, but fire it up and see what happens.

@Train, you have to edit it again. I parroted that one from Richard320.
    haha. Sometimes I am right the first time!

8. Back To Top    #8

I changed mine out simply because I didn't know how old it was. The real reason was, I just wanted to take it apart and make sure the baffles any everything was ok. It was something I needed to know how it works type of thing I guess.
    19,000 gal - Vinyl IG - Sand filter -1.5hp. - Taylor k 2006 - Loop Loc cover

9. Back To Top    #9

Take this with a grain of salt, but I read in a few places, each grain of sand is not round. Under a microscope a grain of sand actually has points or spurs, like a snowflake I guess.

Over time these spurs grind away and do not catch small particals. ( sound logical to me )

Thus the argument on should you or should you not replace your sand.

For me, since I'm not a sand expert, I chose to replace mine. Like I said above, I wanted to know how this filter worked, so I took it apart, checked everything and added new sand. Now I know.
    19,000 gal - Vinyl IG - Sand filter -1.5hp. - Taylor k 2006 - Loop Loc cover