Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Turqoise pool color and cloudiness problem

1. Back To Top    #1

Turqoise pool color and cloudiness problem

I have been shocking and backwashing my pool since saturday. Water was extremly green on saturday and now its at a turqoise but it is still very cloudy. fc level is at 10 and i raised alkalinity and ph levels as they were low as well. How can i resolve the cloudiness issue and do i need to throw in even more shock. I have a 35,000 inground pool. (previous homeowners left inside of pool not in great shape). Please advise

FYI Im new to tfp and this site is awesome thank you to EVERYONE as im learning so much and thank you to the guy in new jersey that i ran into at the pool store that turned me onto this site.

John

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Turqoise pool color and cloudiness problem

Welcome to TFP!!!

We recommend something called the SLAM Process which is different than what most people think of when they say "shocking". You need to realize that the required FC level is a function of your stabilizer (CYA) level as shown in the FC/CYA Chart.

So, we will need to see a full set of test results to provide recommendations. Unless your CYA is very low (which is doubtful if you are using tablets and dichlor powder shock), then a FC of 10ppm is no where near high enough. To accurately measure the high FC levels required, you need the FAS-DPD chlorine test which is part of the Recommended Test Kits.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome!

What "shock": are you using? If it's a powder, it's very likely you're making things worse. Dichlor and Trichlor both add cyanuric acid, and as that increases, so does the FC level you need to reach to kill the algae. 10 FC might not be high enough anymore; I'd wager huge sums of money it's not! Dichlor and Trichlor also lower pH and TA, which is why you had to buy products to fix those.

What test kit are you using?

Have you read anything in Pool School yet?

Your pool can be cleared, if you have a proper test kit and follow our methods. Here's some stories from people who have done it:
    First Time Shocking with Bleach
    Pretty black pool
    A little encouragement for those with algae and new to BBB
    Frog Filled Green Swamp to Oasis---Work in Progress!!!
    Before and After Pool Pics
    Before and after!
    A final picture set of how well the BBB method works!
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

im at work and im using a powdered shock. u say that powder shock can make things worse, can you explain? if your recommending me throwing bleach in, how much for a 35,000 gallon pool. i will post new numbers when i get home from work.

5. Back To Top    #5

Detailed explanations are in Pool School.

Start with
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/conte...ater-chemistry
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/conte...nate-your-pool
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/conte...efeating-algae
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/conte...tain-shockingl

How much depends on how high the CYA level is. And it will get used up killing algae, so it needs to constantly be replenished. You've got plenty of stories of people who've done it, and some basic information. That'll keep you busy reading until you feel
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!