Air in pump system, low pressure

May 20, 2014
Houston, TX
How do I get air out of my pump system and raise the pressure back up to acceptable ranges?

It was running fine and there was no air inside the pump filter basket, and no air bubbles were coming out of the returns in the pool. Then this morning, air somehow got into the system and the returns were bubbling and the water level inside the pump filter basket was getting lower. The pressure on top of the Hayward also dropped to almost 0. I tried opening the valve to release air, no dice. Tried filling pump filter basket with additional water, but no dice either.

Here are some pics of my set up and the pumps:

photo 1.jpg

photo 2.jpg

photo 3.jpg

Here is where the water filter basket is, it's supposed to be full but when I turn off the pump and try to fill it, it won't fill... the most it can go up is halfway.

photo 4.jpg

I also tried opening the valve on top of the Hayward to get some air out, but it doesn't help much and the pressure needle on the gauge stays low while the pump runs. Sorry, pic is sideways...

photo 5.jpg

If it has happened suddenly and was fine before, the first thing to check is the water level in the pool. Turn the pump on, go to the skimmer and watch to see if air is being sucked in. If so, add water to the pool. Report back what you find.

Round up the usual suspects: low water level, stuck weir (flapper) in the skimmer, loose drain plugs on the pump, poor seal on the pump strainer basket, and leaks at the fittings, especially any couplings. Since it happened all the sudden, it's not likely to be the drain plugs or the pipe fittings.

Thanks so much for the follow up. For others reading this thread, posting a follow-up (or conclusion) to your thread is VERY helpful to everyone.

It helps us establish common causes for common problems and it helps people remember the solution should they have a similar issue.

Thanks, again, yardoasis.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.