LifeTime Supporter
Aug 9, 2013
Pennsylvania
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
So, I bought a pool package that included my pump and filter, I am happy with getting this pump and filter, just have a size question. The pool will be an 18' x 52" round. Pump/filter is Doughboy Aqua View 17" Filter and a Doughboy Powerline XP 1 HP Pump.

Someone mentioned a few weeks ago that if I could afford it to upgrade the filter size because it would mean less back washing and would work better. I think a few people mentioned the pump of 1 HP was MORE then enough and keep the 1 HP power pump and upgrade the filter. The next sizes are 20" or 24" Filter. I am thinking of going to the 20" Filter and asked the guy at the pool store and he said then I had to upgrade the pump to 1.5 HP. I just backed off and let it go. My first pool, pool purchase etc. so I got nervous and just dropped it. I need to let him know though and am thinking it's smarter to go a little bigger now then think later I wish I had.

My question is, would a 1 HP pump be sufficient enough for a 20" Sand Filter on an 18 foot round pool. I just don't want to mess anything up. :pale:

After reading this site, I wish I would have gotten my hands a little dirtier.

Yes, a 1HP pump is more than enough, even for a fairly large filter, certainly it would be fine with a 27". A two speed pump is even better. Two speed pumps save about 50% of your electrical costs. Getting a two speed can make up for getting a slightly larger pump, so a two speed 1 1/2 HP is better than a single speed 1 HP.

Yes, a 1HP pump is more than enough, even for a fairly large filter, certainly it would be fine with a 27". A two speed pump is even better. Two speed pumps save about 50% of your electrical costs. Getting a two speed can make up for getting a slightly larger pump, so a two speed 1 1/2 HP is better than a single speed 1 HP.

I asked about the filter that is a 2 speed and he said it's like drive a car, you still use the same amount of gas whether you go slow or fast. :confused: I was just like "oh ok". I know I'm not knowledgable enough yet to really discuss this and tell him he's wrong. The pump that is two speed is a 1.5 HP.

I'm in Newbie Purchase Shock! HA!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.