Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pump Size Question

1. Back To Top    #1

Pump Size Question

So, I bought a pool package that included my pump and filter, I am happy with getting this pump and filter, just have a size question. The pool will be an 18' x 52" round. Pump/filter is Doughboy Aqua View 17" Filter and a Doughboy Powerline XP 1 HP Pump.

Someone mentioned a few weeks ago that if I could afford it to upgrade the filter size because it would mean less back washing and would work better. I think a few people mentioned the pump of 1 HP was MORE then enough and keep the 1 HP power pump and upgrade the filter. The next sizes are 20" or 24" Filter. I am thinking of going to the 20" Filter and asked the guy at the pool store and he said then I had to upgrade the pump to 1.5 HP. I just backed off and let it go. My first pool, pool purchase etc. so I got nervous and just dropped it. I need to let him know though and am thinking it's smarter to go a little bigger now then think later I wish I had.

My question is, would a 1 HP pump be sufficient enough for a 20" Sand Filter on an 18 foot round pool. I just don't want to mess anything up.

After reading this site, I wish I would have gotten my hands a little dirtier.
    MermaidMama

18' Round x 52" Doughboy AGP ~ TF-100 Test Kit
    Powerline XP Pump 1.5 HP ~ AquaView 20" Sand Filter ~

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pump Size Question

Yes, a 1HP pump is more than enough, even for a fairly large filter, certainly it would be fine with a 27". A two speed pump is even better. Two speed pumps save about 50% of your electrical costs. Getting a two speed can make up for getting a slightly larger pump, so a two speed 1 1/2 HP is better than a single speed 1 HP.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion View Post
    Yes, a 1HP pump is more than enough, even for a fairly large filter, certainly it would be fine with a 27". A two speed pump is even better. Two speed pumps save about 50% of your electrical costs. Getting a two speed can make up for getting a slightly larger pump, so a two speed 1 1/2 HP is better than a single speed 1 HP.
    I asked about the filter that is a 2 speed and he said it's like drive a car, you still use the same amount of gas whether you go slow or fast. I was just like "oh ok". I know I'm not knowledgable enough yet to really discuss this and tell him he's wrong. The pump that is two speed is a 1.5 HP.

I'm in Newbie Purchase Shock! HA!
    MermaidMama

18' Round x 52" Doughboy AGP ~ TF-100 Test Kit
    Powerline XP Pump 1.5 HP ~ AquaView 20" Sand Filter ~

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by MermaidMama View Post
    I asked about the filter that is a 2 speed and he said it's like drive a car, you still use the same amount of gas whether you go slow or fast.
    He was wrong on the pump as well as his analogy. He must not pay for his own gas yet.
    17,100 Gal 27' x 52" AGP steel wall vinyl; 44gpm Cooper sand filter; Hayward 1hp sp1580 single-speed; 1.5" plumbing, 1 skimmer/jet, inline chlorinator.
    Chlorine / CYA Chart | SLAM Process | Chlorine cost/fl. oz calculator