Just opened pool and need help.

Two things consume chlorine and you've got both of them to contend with... Algae and the sun. You can protect the chlorine by adding more stabilizer but that will increase your chlorine consumption. You can raise it up to 30 when you're done SLAM'ing or you can do it now.

If you're losing up to 25% of your clean pressure, it's time to backwash. You will get more return flow by backwashing.

No one can definitively say how long it will take your sand filter to clean your water. Just remember that it did not take a week or even 2 to get your pool in this condition and it should not be expected to clear in a week or two. I will say though that it does take a little longer for sand filters to clear a cloudy pool. Keep filtering 24/7 and brush your pool to kick up the dust and debris on the bottom.

I can see 2-3 weeks to clean water , I am cool with that! But as long as water cloudy is continue to Slam right? I just hope it slows down a little eating. I got 22 gals is her already... But I got plenty on hand still!

alright guys I have been slamming for about 4-5 days now. I am seeing process, I can see the 2nd step and a hint of the the third is coming into view. I am brushing everyday also vaccuming every day. My problem is during the day i am losing so much FC its unreal. I can adjust around 10pm and pool stays in shock levels (10-13) until 6 am, once sun comes up in three hours it will be a 3 FC reading. When I did my CYA test before slamming i never lost view of the dot on the bottom but 20 was the closet number. After reading more I may should have assumed it had none. Can I adjust CYA levels during Slamming? I have about 44-45 gals of bleach in her so far. The day time is killing me !!! help me please.

I think pool bottom is pretty clean , I havent pick up hardly anything off of it the last 2 days, even after I brush the fllor and walls the water is really not any dirtier than it was before I started. now the days before that !!!! UNREAL.

As for the day testing, I readjust water to shock levels again, I test 1.5-2 hr later back to 3 maybe 4, adjust and same thing over and over. But at night it stands strong the whole time until SUN !!

Last edited:
You can add CYA during SLAM. I would add enough to get you to 30, maybe 40. Keep in mind that once you put the sock in the pool with CYA in it, then your shock level should be 12 instead of 10. Now that you won't be backwashing as much as things are clearing up, you won't lose much CYA that you add. Have you been backwashing and having to refill much? CYA will take several days to a week to properly show up on a test so after you add, don't bother testing for CYA for several days.

Also:
:nopic:

Last edited:
LOL .... I like the Smileys! I will post pics, I promise. I have just been so busy trying to get everything going. Yes I had been backwashing alot and refilled i think 3-4 times in 4 days. But yesterday it seemed that most of the stuff is out of pool and I didnt have to backwash at all since. I may have been hurting myself but when I did my calculation I came up with 10 as my Slam level too, but I set my goal number at 12 in the pool Calculator. I wanted it to be a little higher hoping I could test every 2 hours instead of 1-1.5 hours. Can I use Stablizer bought from pool store last year, or Borax? I have both so which ever will effect the other numbers the least is what I would rather use. And can you tell me roughly how much I should put in sock?

Just put 960zs of bleach in at 11:45 to get it above 10ppm slam level tested at 3 ppm. just test tested water again at 1:15
showing 2ppm. Went from 12ppm to 2pp in a 1.5 hours. Thats what i am dealing with during daylight hours. At this rate the pool is not staying above 10 very long and it seems I am just wasting bleach during the daylight hours !!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.