My First Pool

I can relate to difficulty finding cheap concentrated bleach in Canada (I'm nearby in Georgetown). I bought a bunch of this from Canadian tire http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/aquarius-liquid-chlorine-5-l-0813327p.html#.U5cc5HJdW1s and the label says 10.3%. The pool companies are also pretty reasonable selling liquid chlorine for about 70 cents per litre but you need you own jugs for them to fill.

I'm also a new pool owner this year and bought the K-2006 from piscine-apollo. I had to order reagents right away for the chlorine test so expect that. Richard's been helping me too and my struggles are documented here if you're interested. http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/76254-Old-pool-new-to-me-advice-appreciated

I think I'm about a week ahead of you. Stick with it and stay patient. At least that's what I keep telling myself (and my wife...) Glad to read about ppl close by embracing the BBB method.

Thank you adolson. So when I use a walmart bleach to raise from 0 to 12, in total it comes to 4.6$ in value. However when I calculated with thr canadian tire chlorine u provided, it comes to 3.2$, even cheapier. Hmm I am not sure why I was told the bleach is cheapier solution and chlorine is expensive. Take a look at the screens shot, do u know if I can use poolcalculator for that chlorine as it says bleach there. Thank you

I can relate to difficulty finding cheap concentrated bleach in Canada (I'm nearby in Georgetown). I bought a bunch of this from Canadian tire http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/aquarius-liquid-chlorine-5-l-0813327p.html#.U5cc5HJdW1s and the label says 10.3%. The pool companies are also pretty reasonable selling liquid chlorine for about 70 cents per litre but you need you own jugs for them to fill.

I'm also a new pool owner this year and bought the K-2006 from piscine-apollo. I had to order reagents right away for the chlorine test so expect that. Richard's been helping me too and my struggles are documented here if you're interested. http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/76254-Old-pool-new-to-me-advice-appreciated

I think I'm about a week ahead of you. Stick with it and stay patient. At least that's what I keep telling myself (and my wife...) Glad to read about ppl close by embracing the BBB method.

I entered 10.3% (active chlorine content) and it's worked fine. But given the high FC levels associated with shocking my pool maybe that's been conservative and lead to slight over-chlorination.

Pretty sure bleach is exactly the same chemical as pool chlorine (or commercially available sodium hypochloride), just less concentrated. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodium_hypochlorite

I think American bleach comes in higher concentrations than ours and is generally less expensive south of the border. They also have access to better cheaper test kits!

I entered 10.3% (active chlorine content) and it's worked fine. But given the high FC levels associated with shocking my pool maybe that's been conservative and lead to slight over-chlorination.

It won't hurt anything to be slightly over your desired level.

Pretty sure bleach is exactly the same chemical as pool chlorine (or commercially available sodium hypochloride), just less concentrated. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodium_hypochlorite

Yes, same chemical but different strength.

I think American bleach comes in higher concentrations than ours and is generally less expensive south of the border. They also have access to better cheaper test kits!

I've heard that some folks in Canada cross the border and get a post office box in the US for ordering things faster. Or perhaps have a friend across the border that they can get a test kit through?

There's a spot in Quebec that sells the K2006 for about $150. By the time you pay for a US PO box and drive back and forth it's not worth the time/money/hassle to order to the states. Struggling to find a borate test kit in Canada right now though...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
There's a spot in Quebec that sells the K2006 for about $150. By the time you pay for a US PO box and drive back and forth it's not worth the time/money/hassle to order to the states. Struggling to find a borate test kit in Canada right now though...
Adolson. you can purchase the borates test strips from tftestkit. since it is not a taylor product Dave can sell and ship it to Canadians. I had asked the question a while back and there seemed to be no problem. you can confirm with them again to validate.

Sent from my LG-D803 using Tapatalk

Finally back. Hello again everybody. Had a little issue with my pool, one of the jets started to leak, so had fix it. Now I guess I have to start from scratch? During the days pool's pump was not running, however I was still cleaning it as much as I could and added a little of bleach just to prevent algae. So today I started the pump again and it is all running.
The water right now is crystal blue, you really want to start swimming in it. I tested FC is 0ppm, and tested CYA with taylor test and it says look while black dot disappears at the bottom of the container, however it never did in my test. The water was clear.

My previous CYA was 30ppm, should I start SLAMing it again at level 12 FC ? Again the water is really clear and nice. Please help! Will send you the pics when get back home

I tested FC is 0ppm, and tested CYA with taylor test and it says look while black dot disappears at the bottom of the container, however it never did in my test. The water was clear.

If I understood you correctly, the black dot never disappeared, and the (test) water was clear?
If the CYA test wasn't in the least bit cloudy, your CYA would be 0 - most probably you had the CYA to ammonia conversion, or you lost significant amounts of water to the leak.

With FC 0 your first priority is to get some bleach in.
Then get some CYA in and start SLAM.

CYA=Stabiliser=Conditioner=cyanuric acid=isocyanuric acid

Have you bought CYA? If yes, the recommended way is to put it in an old sock , tie up the end, and hang in front of a return.

attachment.php
(Picture credits Richard320)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.