Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New Pool - a couple of questions before my next step.

1. Back To Top    #1

New Pool - a couple of questions before my next step.

Hello,
    We just had our pool installed a few weeks ago by a local pool company. My initial experience with the installed "pool frog" system resulted in a bunch of brown dusty deposits all over the bottom of the pool, so I started looking online for a better solution and found your website. Long story short, I've been studying your pages and have become a happy convert to the TFPC method.

After a week of testing (TF-100) and after SLAMming the pool and adjusting things using walmart bleach, I think I'm almost there but need some guidance.

The pool passed the OCLT a few days ago and the FC is coming down very slowly.
    There are still a few light brown dusty deposits on the pool floor but I've been brushing and running the robot and they are going away.
    My most current levels are:

FC = 8
    CC = 0.5
    PH = 6.8
    TA = 30
    CH = 100
    CYA = 30

Some more info:
    1. A couple of weeks ago when I was still using the pool frog, I added a liquid mineral pack (copper I believe), so that's in the water for better or worse.
    2. The frog is now set to OFF.
    3. Originally, the CYA tested at 0 so I slowly added (hanging sock) 4 pounds of wal-mart stabilizer a few days ago after the OCLT passed.

I have a 40 lb bucket of Pro Team Supreme that came with the pool.

My question is, should I add the Pro Team Supreme since I have it? Or should I use something else?
    I think I remember the pool store guy saying it would raise my PH levels which seems like a good thing to me since they are low.
    Also, what else should I be doing to get my levels in line?

Thanks very much for your help,
    Dave
    18.5k gal, 28 ft round AGP, vinyl, 1.5 HP Hayward SP1593 pump, Sand Filter w/ Zeolite, Aquabot Rover Sport cleaner, 3 Solara 2'x4' solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Pool installed 5/5/14

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New Pool - a couple of questions before my next step.

Pro Team, your frog, and the packet you added all contain copper, which can cause staining to your pool and also can cause blondes to become greens. I wouldn't let that stuff anywhere near my pool.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Good to know!
    So instead I should use 20 muleteam borax to raise the PH, correct?
    18.5k gal, 28 ft round AGP, vinyl, 1.5 HP Hayward SP1593 pump, Sand Filter w/ Zeolite, Aquabot Rover Sport cleaner, 3 Solara 2'x4' solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Pool installed 5/5/14

4. Back To Top    #4

ProTeam Supreme is basically the same stuff as 20 mule team borax, just a slightly higher concentration. You use about 75% as much supreme as you would borax to do the same thing.

ProTeam Supreme Plus is somewhat different, much more similar to boric acid.

Both are copper free.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Ok, so I can use the ProTeam after all. Good. No money wasted!

Using the PoolMath calculator, the amount of borax I needed was 83 oz.
    So I'm assuming I would then use around 62 oz (83 x .75) of ProTeam to get to my PH goal?

6. Back To Top    #6

Also, with my PH and TA being low.
    Does it matter which one I bring up first?

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by cassidy47 View Post
    Also, with my PH and TA being low.
    Does it matter which one I bring up first?
    Using baking soda, I would raise the TA first to about 80 . Then, re-test the pH and add about half to 2/3 of the calculated amount of ProTeam. Let it circulate for half hour or so, re-test pH, and adjust as needed.

Welcome to the forum
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!