Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: lowering pH

1. Back To Top    #1

lowering pH

There is a product in my garage from the previous owner called "pH Down." Can I use it? It contains 100% Sodium Bisulfate. There's a fair amount of it. Or should I use Muriatic Acid that I bought?

Recent convert from Baq to BBB. My pH was 7.2 for the past month; now it's 7.8

My numbers are:
    FC 5
    CC .05
    pH 7.8
    TA 70
    CH 100
    CYA 40

2. Back To Top    #2
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: lowering pH

We call sodium bisulfate "dry acid". It is fine to use to lower PH. Muriatic acid is less expensive, so long term I wouldn't buy any more dry acid. But if you already have it you might as well use it.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks. There's 2 small bottles and one large, so I'll try them and see how things work.

4. Back To Top    #4

Glad I found this post Just bought a used ABG and was given leftover chemicals... among them, 2 full bottles of PH down, and 1 partial that is hardened together (I may just pitch this one).

I'd already bought a gallon of Mur.Acid for my ph, but now I know I can still use the Ph down as well if I need it.

Indiana, ABG 24'x52" Galveston by Blue Cascade (Craigslist $600 w/part of deck included), 13,500 gallons, Intex SWG, solar panel

My backyard is like a park... Why then does DH always want to go camping??? I just don't understand.