SWG and Pool Light Concerns

Apr 24, 2010
Recently installed a SWG and have the recommended salt content. Yesterday, someone mentioned to my wife that we should be concerned with our pool light and the salt content of the water. Can't tell you what type of light I have, but it was installed with the pool (approx 2006) and is your standard, round, run of the mill pool light under the diving board.

Is there any concern? Corrosion maybe? Then possible electrocution? My wife couldn't provide any details- just that we should look into it. Thanks-

You can get electrocuted in any water that isn't 100% pure. Anyway, there is (or should be) a GFI circuit that protects against this sort of thing, not to mention the protection built into the light itself. As far as corrosion goes, I've experienced no issues.

Salt doesn't change the issues with electrical safety in any meaningful way. There is always a very very small risk with or without a SWG.

Corrosion shouldn't be an issue with anything made in the last 20 years. Very old equipment sometimes has corrosion problems, but SWGs have been around for a while and everyone upgraded their materials so salt is not an issue long ago.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.