Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: SWG and Pool Light Concerns

1. Back To Top    #1

SWG and Pool Light Concerns

Recently installed a SWG and have the recommended salt content. Yesterday, someone mentioned to my wife that we should be concerned with our pool light and the salt content of the water. Can't tell you what type of light I have, but it was installed with the pool (approx 2006) and is your standard, round, run of the mill pool light under the diving board.

Is there any concern? Corrosion maybe? Then possible electrocution? My wife couldn't provide any details- just that we should look into it. Thanks-

2. Back To Top    #2

Dallas, TX

Re: SWG and Pool Light Concerns

You can get electrocuted in any water that isn't 100% pure. Anyway, there is (or should be) a GFI circuit that protects against this sort of thing, not to mention the protection built into the light itself. As far as corrosion goes, I've experienced no issues.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3
    Silver Spring, MD

Salt doesn't change the issues with electrical safety in any meaningful way. There is always a very very small risk with or without a SWG.

Corrosion shouldn't be an issue with anything made in the last 20 years. Very old equipment sometimes has corrosion problems, but SWGs have been around for a while and everyone upgraded their materials so salt is not an issue long ago.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Thank you.
    37,000 gal IG concrete free-form, Hayward TriStar VS pump, Sta-Rite System 3 cartridge filter, Polaris w/ booster pump, CircuPool RJ60g SWG, Hayward OnCommand w/ remote