Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: swimmers leaving a milky trail

1. Back To Top    #1

Question swimmers leaving a milky trail

I have a 86,000 gal gunite pool and we have a problem with the water. The pool is located in an indoor facility down in the deep south. I've tested the chemicals and they are all within normal range. The issue is, whenever someone gets in to swim, through their movements in a crystal clear tank, they are leaving a milky trail behind them as they swim. I have also noticed by looking at an angle under the lights that it gives off these effervescent effect. While diving, some of our equipment was covered in these trillions of small bubbles. This has happened before and we don't know why?

here are the readings we just took:
    Fr Cl 1.08
    Tot Cl 1.75
    com Cl .67
    ph 7.6
    alk 136
    Cal Ha 490

Thinking it may have been the start of an algae bloom so we added 128 oz of Algaecide.

The weather has begun to change where daytime temps are hi 80"s to low 90"s.
    If anyone has any suggestions, they would be greatly appreciated.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Houston, Texas

Re: swimmers leaving a milky trail

Hi, welcome to TFP! I have a few questions for you. What type of chlorine do you use? What are the active ingredients in the algaecide and how often do you use it? Do you use an ozonator?
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3
    SouthWest Alabama

As Zea said, welcome to TFP.

Also, how are you testing?
    And what's the CYA level?

With a CC of .67 it looks like it's time to SLAM the pool.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4
    South Carolina

Do you have any CYA in this indoor pool?

I agree with needing to SLAM the pool. You could probably nip this in the bud - realizing with the size of the pool, it would need a big nip!

Welcome to TFP
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

San Rafael, CA USA

I don't think this is algae at all. This sounds like people having lotions or oils on their skin that come off in the water. That is normal. Either you can have the patrons rinse off prior to entering the pool or you can consider using enzymes that will help break down these oils. Normally, they simply get moved to the skimmer and get caught in the filter. You can use a scum ball in the skimmer (or gutters, if that's what you have for this larger pool).

Chlorine isn't great at removing oils, suntan lotions, etc. These normally get caught in the filter, but will remain on the surface for some hours assuming there's a break between bather load. Our own pool gets that when my wife is in it due to the suntan lotion, but it is always clear hours later and certainly by the next day. When I clean the cartridge filters (once a year since they are oversized) they are always coated with suntan lotion.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"