Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Electrical Earth

1. Back To Top    #1

Electrical Earth

My pool installer asked me to provide an earth wire from the fuse box to bear the pool. Apparently the regulation in Victoria Australia is that pools are grounded via the electrical system.

This was never installed and the cable is sitting there coiled up.

Is the earth meant to be connected to a copper rod in the concrete bond around the fibre glass in gound pool? Or is there a more sophisticated installation required.

I have followed up with the installers, but no response yet.

Thanks in advance.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Electrical Earth

The first question is are you needing to ground the pool or bond the pool, since they are two different things.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Australia does have different bonding requirements than the US does.
    Since you have a fiberglass pool the concrete, metallic and electrical structures are all that you can bond. Hopefully they bonded everything together so all you need to do is connect the earthing wire to the copper rod in the concrete.

Can you contact the installer and ask what was done in that regard?
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Installers interest has dropped to zero, he has been paid.

The pool is installed and the concrete is poured and everything is paved. Does this wire connect to the re bar in the concrete or just a copper rod into the concrete? Is it somethin the pool builder does or the electrician?

Thanks

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyTheHuman View Post
    Installers interest has dropped to zero, he has been paid.
    I don't know about Canada, but if the installer failed to meet code, he should fear a city inspector. Those people can be very nasty. I'm not saying call them, but just asking him if his work was up to code, might get his attention.
    20,000 gal in-ground plaster pool with sand filter. Replastered recently. Mostly adding bleach and acid. CYA was high when I took over.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyTheHuman View Post
    My pool installer asked me to provide an earth wire from the fuse box to bear the pool. Apparently the regulation in Victoria Australia is that pools are grounded via the electrical system.

This was never installed and the cable is sitting there coiled up.

Is the earth meant to be connected to a copper rod in the concrete bond around the fibre glass in gound pool? Or is there a more sophisticated installation required.

I have followed up with the installers, but no response yet.

Thanks in advance.
    As has been mentioned, you need to consult with an electrician familiar with the electrical codes from your area. The US follows NEC.

An earth/grounding wire from the panel should have been run in the cables to power the equipment. This grounding would be conncted to the grounding bar in the panel, which is bonded to a driven grounding rod as part of the electrical service.

Connecting the rebar, called Ufer grounds, may be required, but again, check with local codes. I did a quick scan of Article 680 in the NEC, and the only equipment required to be grounded are underwater lighting, circulation equipment and other equipment installed for the pool within 5 feet of the wall. Again, this may not apply to you.