Hayward VSP pump basket never fills completely

Re: Pump Basket Won't Fill

I installed a Hayward SP3400VSP a few weeks ago. I am having the same issue as described above. I have +2" of water in the pump basket. My return pipes are also 1 1/2" diameter. How has anyone resolved this issue?

Re: Pump Basket Won't Fill

The reply before mine was on 5/5/14. I think Member Poollife and I are looking to find answers to the same problem with the same new pump. I was hoping for a reply from Ed (who had the original post and issue).
I'll keep reading more in the Pumping Station and maybe an answer will show up there.

I don't know what Poollife has for a pool but, I don't think this is a pump issue. It is more like a suction side leak issue that is drawing in air along with the water.

I doubt you will hear from ED as he only had 5 posts back in 2012 and has not been here since then.

I have this problem on a Hayward pump (not variable speed) sometimes. I put my filter in recirc and run it for about few seconds and then I stop the pump and switch back to filter. This seems to solve the problem. I have an above ground pool so this may not work for you but it's my 2cents:)

I installed a Hayward SP3400VSP a few weeks ago. I am having the same issue as described above. I have +2" of water in the pump basket
This issue has been reported on VS pumps before. What RPM are you getting the air in the basket? Does the air go away if you change the speed?

Try to release the air in the filter when the PUMP's RPM is on high. I have seen it in my Pentair VS but I don't think there is a leak or pump problem in your system. When you replace your pump or clean the pump basket, air sometimes gets in and breaks the vaccum (prime).

I got the air issue fixed. I needed to re-lube the o-ring on the pump. Also, I think Dave is right about the rpm being too high during auto prime. I changed the setting for max rpm to 2800 and changed the prime setting to 3 minute "do or die" and the air pocket disappeared and the unit primes as it should.
NOW, I have to figure out why my Pentair heat pump is throwing a high refrigerant alarm when I start it up!!! Will my problems ever cease??!

Alright so I did get a new replacement pump and that solved my issues along with the unions that come with the pump. With the 2" unions if the pump is not level enough the unions are not strong enough to pull the gap closed to the o-ring on the pump, try taking the union thread off and looking all around it to make sure it fully is touching without the thread, that means liking all around the pipe 360 not just the top; you could also solve your issue by using a male pipe thread with your own aftermarket union. Hope this helps and I thank all that helped me trouble shoot!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.