Quick question

OTown

Jun 5, 2013
Orlando, FL
Good evening all. Just have to say I love this forum and it has taught me endless info on how to care for my above ground pool. My question is this...... I know there was a thread somewhere on how to start up an above ground pool......1st day add this much shock.....to build up stabilizer levels. 2nd day do such and such. I can't find it now. I thought I had saved it to my fav's but searched to no avail. if anyone can point me in the right direction it would be much appreciated. Just set up my pool again and would love that day by day chart to look at again. I bought shock but I bought the one that is a 6in1 and has the copper for algae. I know that isn't right. I know it should have the chlorine and whatever that ingredient is to build my stabilizer/CYA up and not the copper. I am buying polyquat to add for algae preventative. Its been a few months since I was in pool mode. Thanks again.

~Kelly
OTown, FL

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

That sounds like this: http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/155-guide-for-seasonal-temporary-pools
which may be different from what was previously posted as we now recommend adding the stabilizer and bleach separately for less confusion.

You are right the copper is not the right stuff ... you want to use dichlor or trichlor to do what you describe. You can use PoolMath to calculate how much you need to add.

Also no need for the algaecide if you maintain adequate FC.

Ahhh, yeah that isn't the same page posted last year for a fresh fill for small above ground pools. Was going to return all those packets anyways, guess I will try this new way. Sounds easier anyways. And yes I know I have heard a lot of folks saying no need for algaecide if chlorine levels are kept up properly. I had no issues the first 4 years of my seasonal pool, but it seems the past 2 toward the end of summer or into September I have this issue with yellow algae. And its impossible to clean off the bottom with no way to pump out, although I did come up with a rig using garden hose to siphon up bottom but impossible to remove all without just starting over and being so close to take down it would be a waste. So I figured maybe I will try algae preventative this season. And I thought if I was going to use any at all that polyquat 60% was the way to go??? Thanks for your help, guess I am off to the Home Depot to return my shock packets, and buy some cyanuric acid. Thanks again.

~Kelly

Polyquat 60 is the correct stuff if you are going to use something.

If they will not take the packets back, you can use them, just requires a little more planning and calculations.

So they took the packets back but they don't carry the acid. :eek: So it will have to wait until tomorrow when I have time to go else where. Where is my best bet? Pinch a Penny or Wally World? I just hate to buy enough for 10 years when I only need 55 liquid ounces or 22 dry, lol. Who would have smaller sizes for smaller pools? Mine is 15 ft. roughly 4,000 gl. I am just going to shock again tonight even though I don't want to. Now that I have shocked, tonight being 3 times how should I adjust the amount of acid I put in? The only way I can test CYA is with a strip which I know isn't the most accurate and not willing to buy the expensive kit. Hmmmm, I dunno or should I just scratch the acid idea and keep shocking? How many more times should I shock with trichlor or dichlor to achieve the 40CYA mark if I go that way? Thanks again.

Ok, so I set up and mostly filled pool up on Monday with city tap water, didn't add a thing that evening as wasn't completely full.
Tuesday- finished filling and added 10 TBS(5 ounces) of shock around 9:30 pm.
Wednesday- added another 5 ounces of shock around 10pm.

Shock is as follows.

Pool Time shock Xtra Blue 6 in 1.
Sodium dichloro-s-trianzinetrione.............63.05%
Copper(metallic)*..................................0.26%
other ingrdients.....................................36.69%

~Kelly

Ok. So that is dichlor and unfortunately it also has copper in it which is not a good thing ... could cause staining and green hair.

So 10oz of dichlor into a 4k pool, according to PoolMath has added 10ppm FC and 9.4ppm CYA.

Given that it has copper in it, I would not use any more. I would add another 20-30ppm of CYA which will require 11-16oz of granular stabilizer.

The only way I can test CYA is with a strip which I know isn't the most accurate and not willing to buy the expensive kit.

I strongly urge you to rethink this. Obtaining and knowing your own test results will very likely pay for the test kit in saved misery from buying useless chemicals at the pool store. It will likely last at least two years, especially if you follow the procedures on this website.

Ok. So that is dichlor and unfortunately it also has copper in it which is not a good thing ... could cause staining and green hair.

So 10oz of dichlor into a 4k pool, according to PoolMath has added 10ppm FC and 9.4ppm CYA.

Given that it has copper in it, I would not use any more. I would add another 20-30ppm of CYA which will require 11-16oz of granular stabilizer.
Sounds good, hope the pool is okay over night until I can get to the store tomorrow morning, cause I really don't want to add anymore either. Maybe throw some Clorox in for overnight. Thanks for all your effort and help.

I strongly urge you to rethink this. Obtaining and knowing your own test results will very likely pay for the test kit in saved misery from buying useless chemicals at the pool store. It will likely last at least two years, especially if you follow the procedures on this website.
I know, I know. For the past 2 years I keep saying I am going to buy the mack daddy test kit and a bigger pump for the pool but as usual spring has snuck up on me and I have neither one to start the season......sigh. But I definitely would like to add that to my arsenal in the near future.

I just want Saturday to get here quickly so I can chill in my sparkling pool all day with a drink in my hand.
Record highs predicted this weekend of 97!:eek:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hello OTown! You can get a TF50 instead of the TF100. :goodjob:

Thanks Casey, I have been looking into it again.

So I stopped by Pinch A Penny since it was closer than Wally World and they had smaller containers of granules for small pools, and it only cost me 10 bucks.:D Its plenty for the season if I should need more. I didn't realize that it takes a week for the stuff to dissolve, the fellow at the store recommended putting it in a sock and tying it off the ladder and squishing it around with your hand to help it along. Well I put it in around noon and squished it around a good 5 times and its pretty much gone. YAY!!! All is well and seems to be holding levels of chlorine in this 95 degree day. Adding acid/stabilizer on its own seems way easier and you have a better idea of exactly what you added as too not get CYA levels too high. Thanks again for all the tips!! Heading off to the grocery to buy my drinkies, and grill fixings for my lazy pool day tomorrow. Have a great weekend all!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.