Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Plumbing to pump down with

1. Back To Top    #1

Plumbing to pump down with

This is a new install that I need to come up with a quicker way to pump down water level when it rains. The PB installed a bib valve to be able to attach a garden hose to pump down with. It works but, OMG!!!!! Boy is that slow. So having said that, I am looking for input to remedy this situation. I also have an idea. Put a 3 way Jandy valve in between the filter housing output and the salt cell. And use the input to the 3 way as the output. If there is a better way please speak up. Thanks in advance.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    12 x 26 Viking FG IG, Bermuda Model, 3 1/2' to 5', 7000 Gallons, Diamond Series Maya, Hayward 1 1/2 HP Maxflo VS, Hayward Stay Clear Plus Cart Filter C17502(S), Hayward Aqua Rite SWG w/T3 cell, Color Changing FIBERSTAR Lighting, Aqua Bot Supreme Robotic cleaner, Brushed Concrete with CCI Liberty Tan color, Taylor K-2006 test kit, Armor Foundation penetrating concrete sealer(lifetime warranty).

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Plumbing to pump down with

For simplicity, I'd replace that hose bib with a bigger ball valve, then connect a section of pipe or a backwash hose to it. Hose bibs are seriously restrictive.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks that was one of another ideas I had....probably the simplest and least exspensive to do

12 x 26 Viking FG IG, Bermuda Model, 3 1/2' to 5', 7000 Gallons, Diamond Series Maya, Hayward 1 1/2 HP Maxflo VS, Hayward Stay Clear Plus Cart Filter C17502(S), Hayward Aqua Rite SWG w/T3 cell, Color Changing FIBERSTAR Lighting, Aqua Bot Supreme Robotic cleaner, Brushed Concrete with CCI Liberty Tan color, Taylor K-2006 test kit, Armor Foundation penetrating concrete sealer(lifetime warranty).

4. Back To Top    #4

What Richard said. I wouldn't bother cleaning the water your going to pump out. I'm in same boat have a hose bib in between pump and filter and need to remove some water due to cya levels

13k IG pebble pool w/waterfall, 1hp whisperflow pump, pentair ccp320 cartridge filter
    Circupool SI45+ swg
    TF100 +speed stir Taylor 1766 salt test

5. Back To Top    #5

+1 for adding a ball valve in place of the hose bib.
    Every pb should include a waste valve between the filter and pump if they don't use a multiport valve on the filter. At least once in every pool owner's life they will need to drain the pool to correct chemistry or make repairs!
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

I did a closer look and the adapter that the bib val screws into is gluded into place. So I have 2 options.
    1. Remove bib and put a 1/2" ball val in its place.
    2. 3 way jandy after the filter

7. Back To Top    #7

1/2" ball valve will flow probably 4X as much as that hose bib. That's what I'd do. If it isn't satisfactory, putting the hose bib back is no big deal and then you can start spending real money and cut pipes.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks for input. I am already leaning towards ball val.

9. Back To Top    #9

Thinking of cutting out the T that has my hose bib threaded on and just put a new T with a ball valve and unions on each end of the T so for what ever reason I need to remove or change it I don't have to cut away any more pipe just build a new T with Same union pieces on each end to match.
    Question is would it hurt the amount of water out of the ball valve if you downsize it to have a hose thread onto it? That way can take a garden hose and just place it in yard

13k IG pebble pool w/waterfall, 1hp whisperflow pump, pentair ccp320 cartridge filter
    Circupool SI45+ swg
    TF100 +speed stir Taylor 1766 salt test

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by Iciee View Post
    Thinking of cutting out the T that has my hose bib threaded on and just put a new T with a ball valve and unions on each end of the T so for what ever reason I need to remove or change it I don't have to cut away any more pipe just build a new T with Same union pieces on each end to match.
    Question is would it hurt the amount of water out of the ball valve if you downsize it to have a hose thread onto it? That way can take a garden hose and just place it in yard

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yes. If you go down from 1" pipe to a 5/8" hose, it will reduce flow. Still enough to fill the hose and run a sprinkler.