Ever heard of someone refusing to swim in chlorine pool?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I allowed my kids to invite some friends over for a last day of school pool party. Most of them are kids that we know well but we had a couple of new names on the list. One of the moms sent back a note to me today saying that her daughter could come if we have a saltwater pool, but she is not allowed to come if we have a chlorine pool because her daughter isn't allowed to swim in chemicals. The kiddo won't be coming.

It's to bad the mom doesn't realize that a salt pool has chlorine in it.

I decided it wasn't worth trying to explain it to her. I am always a bit weird about having kids swim if we don't know them - not that someone who knows me might not sue me. I just let it go. But it was the strangest note. I wanted to ask if she is allowed to take a shower since their is chlorine in that.

Some people are just... dumb. There's no way around it.

One thing to keep in mind is that an improperly maintain indoor commercial pool is drastically different from a well maintained outdoor pool. Many people who experience reactions to "chlorine" in indoor pools don't have any problems at all in well maintained outdoor pools. The thing they are actually reacting to is CC, which is both much more likely to exist in the first place in an indoor pool and much more difficult to get rid of in an indoor pool.

Jason the same can be said for a well maintained indoor pool, it is just that the poorly maintained ones can get much worse than poorly maintained outdoor pools and still have relativeley clear water

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Jason the same can be said for a well maintained indoor pool
Perhaps that might be true of an indoor residential pool, but it is very very difficult to run an indoor public pool without having problems. The great majority of indoor public pools are going to be maintained in ways that give sensitive people symptoms, while outdoor residential pool are trivial to take care of by comparison.

One of my parent friends called today to RSVP for his kid. He asked who all was coming and I just said who we had invited from the class and who I had heard back from. I said that this particular young lady couldn't come. He told me there was a loud uncomfy incident when mom found out one of the other parents gave daughter a soda at a playdate. Mom is very very anti chemicals in food and couldn't believe that this parent would give her kid a soda without clearing it with Mom first. The kids are in 6th grade - old enough to know what she is and isn't allowed to drink. The little girl wasn't allowed to go over to this guy's house because he hunts. There seems to be a lot going on there.

Probably best that she can't come. I am sure I would have fed her something that she wasn't allowed to eat.

One of my parent friends called today to RSVP for his kid. He asked who all was coming and I just said who we had invited from the class and who I had heard back from. I said that this particular young lady couldn't come. He told me there was a loud uncomfy incident when mom found out one of the other parents gave daughter a soda at a playdate. Mom is very very anti chemicals in food and couldn't believe that this parent would give her kid a soda without clearing it with Mom first. The kids are in 6th grade - old enough to know what she is and isn't allowed to drink. The little girl wasn't allowed to go over to this guy's house because he hunts. There seems to be a lot going on there.

Probably best that she can't come. I am sure I would have fed her something that she wasn't allowed to eat.

". . . because he hunts." Must not be in Texas. Just about everyone here hunts. That poor kid would have no friends.

These kind of stories really make me sad.

I'm all for letting folks raise their kids the way they want... though at times, from my point of view, it's almost to the point of torture, the extremes some parents go to with putting rules on everything. I think it creates a mind full of fear and closes off new experiences. It's good to be conscientious about what kids are doing, what they are eating but... everything in moderation!

". . . because he hunts." Must not be in Texas. Just about everyone here hunts. That poor kid would have no friends.

These kind of stories really make me sad.

Mom isn't from Texas. I was trying to politely say that his hunting "tools" were in the home. My daughter shot competitively until we moved to DFW. I have hunting "tools" as well. I figure if the chlorine hadn't gotten her, that would have done it.

I'm all for letting folks raise their kids the way they want... though at times, from my point of view, it's almost to the point of torture, the extremes some parents go to with putting rules on everything. I think it creates a mind full of fear and closes off new experiences. It's good to be conscientious about what kids are doing, what they are eating but... everything in moderation!

I agree - I don't give my kids soda very often, but I never make it forbidden. Just an all things in moderation kind of thing. My own mom was very strict about sodas, store bought treats, all that. Once a year we would go on vacation with my cousins/aunt/uncle. They were junk food people. I can't tell you anything about the places that we went, but in every picture I am standing there with a soda in one hand and some junk food in the other. I was obsessed with the sodas. Once I got out on my own I drank too many of them for many many years. Finally I have a healthy relationship with them. I have a daughter with a food sensitivity (thankfully not anaphlyaxic ) and I won't even make it a "no never" situation. Small tastes very occasionally. I don't want it to be something she is tortured to miss.

I don't know the little girl in question very well, but it seems like there is a whole lot of rebelling potential there.

That is crazy. If you are THAT kind of parent, then just politely decline. Geez! Your right too, you would have done something wrong while she was there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't know the little girl in question very well, but it seems like there is a whole lot of rebelling potential there.
As I've gotten older I've also thought this way about everything in life. You can keep someone (a child) locked up but one day they will be on their own. Odds are that they will find whatever they were not permitted to do and indulge in it - probably excessively. At the same time, I do think that all parents should be more of an enforcer than a friend. Set limits - as others have pointed out, moderation is good.

With all that said, it does make me wonder how mom's upbringing was....

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.