Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ever heard of someone refusing to swim in chlorine pool?

1. Back To Top    #1

Ever heard of someone refusing to swim in chlorine pool?

I allowed my kids to invite some friends over for a last day of school pool party. Most of them are kids that we know well but we had a couple of new names on the list. One of the moms sent back a note to me today saying that her daughter could come if we have a saltwater pool, but she is not allowed to come if we have a chlorine pool because her daughter isn't allowed to swim in chemicals. The kiddo won't be coming.
    ~18,000 gallon
    DE filter/chlorine
    IG Grey Plaster
    25 year old pool w a facelift in 2014

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Ever heard of someone refusing to swim in chlorine pool?

Well as you know...a salt water pool as much chlorine as any other pool...but hey one less kid to pee in the pool ain't bad, so don't let her in on the secret!
    14,750 GAL IG Fiberglass (16 x 33) NE Ohio || Jandy 1HP 2 speed Pump || Waterco MultiCyclone 16 Centrifugal pre-filter (removed due to not working with sand filter) || 30" 575 Lb. Sand Filter || AquaCal 140K BTU Heat Pump || Solar Cover || Inter-fab Adrenaline Slide || GLI Monsoon Solar Cover Reel || K-2006C Test Kit || BBB with Liquid Chlorine Stenner Injection || Rayner Mighty Mesh Winter Cover

3. Back To Top    #3

It's to bad the mom doesn't realize that a salt pool has chlorine in it.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

4. Back To Top    #4

That child's mom needs a little education. Obviously she doesn't know that a "salt water pool" IS a chlorine pool!
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

5. Back To Top    #5

I decided it wasn't worth trying to explain it to her. I am always a bit weird about having kids swim if we don't know them - not that someone who knows me might not sue me. I just let it go. But it was the strangest note. I wanted to ask if she is allowed to take a shower since their is chlorine in that.
    ~18,000 gallon
    DE filter/chlorine
    IG Grey Plaster

6. Back To Top    #6

Some people are just... dumb. There's no way around it.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

7. Back To Top    #7

One thing to keep in mind is that an improperly maintain indoor commercial pool is drastically different from a well maintained outdoor pool. Many people who experience reactions to "chlorine" in indoor pools don't have any problems at all in well maintained outdoor pools. The thing they are actually reacting to is CC, which is both much more likely to exist in the first place in an indoor pool and much more difficult to get rid of in an indoor pool.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

8. Back To Top    #8

Jason the same can be said for a well maintained indoor pool, it is just that the poorly maintained ones can get much worse than poorly maintained outdoor pools and still have relativeley clear water
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

9. Back To Top    #9

TFP Guide

You have to feel a bit bad for kids with parents like that..... It's the kids that suffer.
    26' X 52" Intex Ultra Frame. Intex Sand Filter
    26' X 52 Intex Ultra Frame Install
    You can lead a horse to (clear) water, but you can't force him to swim in it!

10. Back To Top    #10

Almost everyone I work with have asked me if my pool was a Saltwater one or a Chlorine one. I told them it was BOTH! Got the strangest looks when I told them that.

haha!
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
    Jason the same can be said for a well maintained indoor pool
    Perhaps that might be true of an indoor residential pool, but it is very very difficult to run an indoor public pool without having problems. The great majority of indoor public pools are going to be maintained in ways that give sensitive people symptoms, while outdoor residential pool are trivial to take care of by comparison.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

12. Back To Top    #12

I tell the truth. I buy Sodium Hypochlorite from the pool store.

It's not my fault if they don't know it's just strong bleach.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

13. Back To Top    #13

One of my parent friends called today to RSVP for his kid. He asked who all was coming and I just said who we had invited from the class and who I had heard back from. I said that this particular young lady couldn't come. He told me there was a loud uncomfy incident when mom found out one of the other parents gave daughter a soda at a playdate. Mom is very very anti chemicals in food and couldn't believe that this parent would give her kid a soda without clearing it with Mom first. The kids are in 6th grade - old enough to know what she is and isn't allowed to drink. The little girl wasn't allowed to go over to this guy's house because he hunts. There seems to be a lot going on there.

Probably best that she can't come. I am sure I would have fed her something that she wasn't allowed to eat.
    ~18,000 gallon
    DE filter/chlorine
    IG Grey Plaster

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by glitter&guns View Post
    One of my parent friends called today to RSVP for his kid. He asked who all was coming and I just said who we had invited from the class and who I had heard back from. I said that this particular young lady couldn't come. He told me there was a loud uncomfy incident when mom found out one of the other parents gave daughter a soda at a playdate. Mom is very very anti chemicals in food and couldn't believe that this parent would give her kid a soda without clearing it with Mom first. The kids are in 6th grade - old enough to know what she is and isn't allowed to drink. The little girl wasn't allowed to go over to this guy's house because he hunts. There seems to be a lot going on there.

Probably best that she can't come. I am sure I would have fed her something that she wasn't allowed to eat.
    ". . . because he hunts." Must not be in Texas. Just about everyone here hunts. That poor kid would have no friends.

These kind of stories really make me sad.
    9,200 gal. Gunite Luna Quartz French Grey pool with spill over spa, two fountains on tanning ledge (rarely used)
    Pentair Whisperflo 2HP, Pentair CCP Cartridge 420 Sq. Ft., Polaris 280 with booster pump
    Pentair EasyTouch 4, RayPak LoNox 266k Natural Gas heater, Aqua Rite SWCG T Cell 9, Borates, TF-100 test kit

15. Back To Top    #15

I'm all for letting folks raise their kids the way they want... though at times, from my point of view, it's almost to the point of torture, the extremes some parents go to with putting rules on everything. I think it creates a mind full of fear and closes off new experiences. It's good to be conscientious about what kids are doing, what they are eating but... everything in moderation!
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

16. Back To Top    #16

She probably thinks her "organic" food has no chemicals or pesticides too. People that fall for that stuff drive me crazy.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

17. Back To Top    #17

Quote Originally Posted by HouTex View Post
    ". . . because he hunts." Must not be in Texas. Just about everyone here hunts. That poor kid would have no friends.

These kind of stories really make me sad.
    Mom isn't from Texas. I was trying to politely say that his hunting "tools" were in the home. My daughter shot competitively until we moved to DFW. I have hunting "tools" as well. I figure if the chlorine hadn't gotten her, that would have done it.
    ~18,000 gallon
    DE filter/chlorine
    IG Grey Plaster

18. Back To Top    #18

Quote Originally Posted by JVTrain View Post
    I'm all for letting folks raise their kids the way they want... though at times, from my point of view, it's almost to the point of torture, the extremes some parents go to with putting rules on everything. I think it creates a mind full of fear and closes off new experiences. It's good to be conscientious about what kids are doing, what they are eating but... everything in moderation!
    I agree - I don't give my kids soda very often, but I never make it forbidden. Just an all things in moderation kind of thing. My own mom was very strict about sodas, store bought treats, all that. Once a year we would go on vacation with my cousins/aunt/uncle. They were junk food people. I can't tell you anything about the places that we went, but in every picture I am standing there with a soda in one hand and some junk food in the other. I was obsessed with the sodas. Once I got out on my own I drank too many of them for many many years. Finally I have a healthy relationship with them. I have a daughter with a food sensitivity (thankfully not anaphlyaxic ) and I won't even make it a "no never" situation. Small tastes very occasionally. I don't want it to be something she is tortured to miss.

I don't know the little girl in question very well, but it seems like there is a whole lot of rebelling potential there.
    ~18,000 gallon
    DE filter/chlorine
    IG Grey Plaster

19. Back To Top    #19

That is crazy. If you are THAT kind of parent, then just politely decline. Geez! Your right too, you would have done something wrong while she was there.

MermaidMama

18' Round x 52" Doughboy AGP ~ TF-100 Test Kit
    Powerline XP Pump 1.5 HP ~ AquaView 20" Sand Filter ~

20. Back To Top    #20

Quote Originally Posted by glitter&guns View Post
    I don't know the little girl in question very well, but it seems like there is a whole lot of rebelling potential there.
    As I've gotten older I've also thought this way about everything in life. You can keep someone (a child) locked up but one day they will be on their own. Odds are that they will find whatever they were not permitted to do and indulge in it - probably excessively. At the same time, I do think that all parents should be more of an enforcer than a friend. Set limits - as others have pointed out, moderation is good.

With all that said, it does make me wonder how mom's upbringing was....
    NEW POOL: 11k IGP, Pebbletec, Hayward Pro-Grid 3620 D.E. Filter, 1HP Pentair?/Emerson
    OLD POOL: 12.3k IGP, Pebbletec, Pentair 60 D.E. Filter, 1HP Pentair/Emerson + 1HP Pentair waterfall, Pentair IC40, and borated

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast