Getting rid of algae without draining?

May 21, 2014
Virginia
Is it possible to get rid of algae without draining your whole pool?

We just had a new in ground, 40x16 pool put in 2 years ago. In August of last year, algae started overtaking the pool. After constantly bringing water samples in (literally on a weekly basis) to the pool company, we ended up spending hundreds of dollars on chemicals that the pool company kept swearing would work on killing the algae, but it didn't. Due to it being August and we were going to be closing the pool for the season within a few weeks, my husband decided to have it winterized and we closed it up.

We just uncovered the pool a week ago. Last year, it took about 5 days for the entire pool to go from the murky blackish color it looks like when you first uncover it (mesh cover, btw), to crystal clear. After 2 days of it not getting any better, we figured it may be the sand in the new filter. We called the pool company and they said that if it wasn't clean, then the sand would need to be replaced. OK, so I called a contractor and he quoted $315. Well, for that price, my husband figured we could just by a DT filter, which he knows more about. Prior to doing this, the light kept going out on the Intellichlor Chlorine generator. And yes, I changed the fuse, but for some reason, it lasted 2 days and then the lights went out again. This time, when I changed the fuse, no lights come on! UGh!

So we tried to trouble shoot....
My husband replaced the 2 year old sand filter with a new DT filter. We figured that the algae in the pool may get filtered out. We bought the size filter for a 40+k gallon pool, even though we only have 28k gallons. My husband put in the superchlorination and algae chemicals (which the instruction manual for the filter said to do) and we left the filter on over night, hoping there would be a major change this morning.

Unfortunately, without the lights on the chlorine generator, I cannot accuately check the levels of salt and chlorine in the pool. So this is another problem :( I do know that when the generator was last reading (prior to the new filter install), all lights were green and we had it set at 40% for running.

The pool looks exactly the same! It's been a week and after reading through some posts on this thread, I see that many people have resolved their algae problem by draining their pool (if not all the way, half-way).

QUESTIONS: (I know...long winded, but I felt I needed to explain everything so there was less back and forth posts)
1) Does anyone here have a suggestion on how to get rid of an entire pool full of algae WITHOUT draining it?
2) Besides for replacing the fuse, what else can we try to get the 2 year old Intellichlor generator to display lights?

Thank you all! We are HOPING to go swimming in the pool sometime soon :(

~Natalie

Welcome to TFP!

Yes, you can get rid of algae without draining your pool. We do it all the time here!

I can't help you with the intellichlor, but others here probably can.

Your first step would be to STOP having your water tested at a pool store! Get a great testing kit, preferably the TF-100 with the XL option and speedstir, from http://TFtestkits.net. When you learn the tests, you now have control over your pool, instead of relying on not always accurate pool store testing.

The second step is to start reading in Pool School, linked at the top of every page here. In there you will find the best methods for caring for your pool, and the best part is it will be a minimal cost!

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Quick answer ... ABSOLUTELY* ... if you follow the SLAM Process and to do that correctly, you will need to invest in one of the Recommended Test Kits, ideally the TF-100 with XL option as you have to SLAM.

* assuming your CYA is not WAY too high, which will require replacing water. What superchlorination chemicals did you use? If it was dichlor or trichlor, that could have made your CYA too high and that could be the main problem.

Really the first step is to get the test kit and post up the results. From there we can figure out what should be done first. Note that we generally recommend not using the SWG at all during the SLAM process, it is just too slow at adding chlorine and you would just be shortening its life.

BTW, a filter alone will NEVER remove live algae. You need to follow the SLAM process to kill everything and then the filter can remove it.

Welcome to TFP. I don't recall anyone draining their pool to get rid of algae. And you don't have to drain your pool.

What you need is a test kit. We recommend the TF100 XL as it comes with more regents than the K2006 and since you're clearing a swamp, the K2006 will not be enough to get you through the complete SLAM process. Look here... :lookhere: Test Kit Comparison

Then, you're going to have to do some reading like:
:lookhere: ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry
:lookhere: How to Chlorinate Your Pool
:lookhere: Chlorine CYA Chart
:lookhere: Defeating Algae
:lookhere: Turning Your Green Swamp Back into a Sparkling Oasis
:lookhere: SLAMing Your Pool
:lookhere: PoolMath

You can not count on the filter alone to clear your pool. Please read the links I've provided to you so you can start to understand how it all works together to clear your pool and keep it clear. :goodjob: Please ask any questions.

Hi Natalie,
You certainly came to the right place. The experts here are fanatical about helping others in resolving their pool issues.

Your long post was great. Nothing like the big picture to get going and as you said, not a lot of back and forth.

SO - You went to the pool store. Spent hundreds of $$$ and still have a swamp. You also bought a new filter that you didnt actually need, and it didn't fix the algae problem either. Oh my.
Sad to say, but you are not the first...

Unfortunately Natalie, you guys have officially been "pool stored" as we refer to it. And oh but pool stored good too. Im sorry this has happened to you.

One thing to keep in your mind about the Pool Store. Their job and business is to sell you as much stuff as they can convince you to buy. That is how they make their living. Almost always, there is no reason for anyone to buy any of it.

To be fair, I am sure there are some reputable pool stores with informed folks working in them, but most folks experience is the opposite when it comes to pool chemistry.

One other thing ... No One on this forum is here to or will try to sell you anything. No one here is profiting from the help you will get.
Just a bunch of pool owners who have been where you are now and know the worries.

Its ok now though. You are here, so dont worry any more.

Thanks Divin Dave. I think my husband and I agree - we're doing this on our own from now on...had to learn the hard way :(

Natalie

- - - Updated - - -

jblizzle-

Thanks so much! he knows how to SLAM it and now has the testing kit, so I'll start by reading the other areas of this site and see what we can do.

Natalie

- - - Updated - - -

Richard320 -

Thank you! I'm going to read through all of those posts!!

Natalie

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The kit your husband bought -- Was it a FAS-DPD chlorine tesing kit? If not, you should add that to it, as you will need it for the SLAM. As Casey noted in the link to the test kit comparison, only the FAS-DPD will measure FC levels high enough to be any good.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.