Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: do i need to hook swg to timer?

1. Back To Top    #1

do i need to hook swg to timer?

my pump is on a timer and turns on and off that way. I have the swg separately wired. It is a circupool swg with a flow switch. when the timer turns off the pump the flow stops so it stops making chlorine. any issue with this set up? will this cause any damage? I have the swg set to auto so it would seem this would be fine.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: do i need to hook swg to timer?

I have a rj60 and i wired mine into the timer. I dont think they really have a float switch per say.
    I dont think you want the unit on when there is no flow ??? If anything its a waste of energy.
    You might want to call tech support on that one.. Its easy to wire into the timer, i have a freeze timer so i have it control the SWG.
    Sean Hannon
    30,000 Gallons gunite pool Coated by Fibertech
    Hayward Pro Grid 72 / Hayward multiport
    Circupool V3 VS pump
    CirCupool SWG RJ 60, 400.000 btu raypak , Built in SPA

3. Back To Top    #3

I would wire the SWG to the same timer as the pool pump. The other option is to install a current sensing relay/switch in to turn on the SWG when the pump is running. I am working on that setup now. Mu pump motor is wired directly to the breaker because it has an internal controller. My Circupool SWG is also wired to a breaker w/o a timer and uses the flow switch to stop generation of chlorine. I am getting errors (check cell ans another one (I cant remember off ht top of my head) on the SWG when the pump shuts off. If I start the pump and cycle power on the SWG the errors go away and the it indicates that it is generating chlorine.
    Pool Details: 25,440 Gal IG Vinyl 21x40 Mountain Pond (Graphex)
    Filter: Hayward Micro-Clear DE (48 Sq Ft)
    Pump: Hayward SP2603VSP VS Super Pump
    SWG: Circupool Si45
    Cleaner: Pentair Kreepy Krauly Prowler 820

4. Back To Top    #4

Use a timer. The SWG manufacturers recommend against relying on the flow sensor for turning the SWG on and off. I have mine tied to the same timer as the pump.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

5. Back To Top    #5

Plus if you live where it gets cold you can get a intermatic freeze timer for about 150.00 and you dont have to worry about it.
    It is really worth it for me because i would turn pump on before bed if it was getting into the 20's and it ran a lot for nothing wasting energy.
    Now it turns it's self on and off !!!

Sean Hannon
    Circupool V3 VS pump

6. Back To Top    #6

Oh yea and per code don't mix solid and stranded wire on your timer connections.. If using any stranded make a pigtale using solid wire then wire nut your stranded to it.

Sean Hannon
    Circupool V3 VS pump

7. Back To Top    #7

ok i like the timer idea but my timer and motor are 220 and the swg is wired for 110. how would i do this?

8. Back To Top    #8

There is a jumper on your SWG you can change to make it work for 220. What model SWG do you have?
    14k gal IG vinyl, Jandy Flopro 1 hp up-rated, 2 spd pump, Hayward 325 sq ft cartridge filter, Circupool Si-40 SWCG

9. Back To Top    #9

circupool si45

10. Back To Top    #10

The Si series owner's manual says, "The Si Series is shipped from the factory with a 240VAC configuration (unless otherwise requested). If a 120VAC is needed, move the jumpers as shown on the inside of the front door cover of the Control Module."

Look at the inside of the front door cover, and you will find your answer.
    14k gal IG vinyl, Jandy Flopro 1 hp up-rated, 2 spd pump, Hayward 325 sq ft cartridge filter, Circupool Si-40 SWCG

11. Back To Top    #11

This is exactly how mine is wired. +1 on this.
    Quote Originally Posted by RobbieH View Post
    Use a timer. The SWG manufacturers recommend against relying on the flow sensor for turning the SWG on and off. I have mine tied to the same timer as the pump.
    12 x 26 Viking FG IG, Bermuda Model, 3 1/2' to 5', 7000 Gallons, Diamond Series Maya, Hayward 1 1/2 HP Maxflo VS, Hayward Stay Clear Plus Cart Filter C17502(S), Hayward Aqua Rite SWG w/T3 cell, Color Changing FIBERSTAR Lighting, Aqua Bot Supreme Robotic cleaner, Brushed Concrete with CCI Liberty Tan color, Taylor K-2006 test kit, Armor Foundation penetrating concrete sealer(lifetime warranty).