Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Stacking pavers?

1. Back To Top    #1

Stacking pavers?

My husband and I are having a heck of a time getting our yard ready for our new pool. We purchased an Intex 14' x 42" Ultra Frame, which is going in our extremely unleveled back yard. Our most recent issue is that we placed the pavers and made them flush with the ground before putting down the foam. My question is could we stack additional pavers using liquid nails or something similar so that they will be level with the foam? If not, we will have to dig down 2" more so the foam board is flush with the pavers or add dirt back under the pavers to raise them back up.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Stacking pavers?

Welcome to TFP!

You can stack the pavers, with or without the liquid nails. Adding dirt back under them is asking for the pavers to sink a bit, causing your pool to go out of level.

As you are getting ready to fill your pool, start reading in Pool School, linked in the upper right of every page here. This will give you a heads-up on the best, least expensive pool care available!
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for the input. Adding dirt under the pavers was my very last choice, but a choice nonetheless. My greatest concern with stacking the pavers was that they wouldn't be level and would possibly shift under the weight of the pool. The bottom paver would be firmly planted in the ground, but the top one wouldn't. Hence why I thought of an adhesive.

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome!

I like your idea of gluing. If you get a bunch of kids roughhousing, there's no way to predict just what kind of damage they could do. Last thing you need is a shifted paver.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

Richard 320, do you think the glue will cause the pavers to be unleveled? The bottom is already 100% leveled, but I was afraid the glue, depending on how thick, would cause the top one to be off, thus requiring us to reset the bottom paver. This is the first "real" pool we have set up so I am anal that it be done correctly!

6. Back To Top    #6

I don't know. How thick a bead will you be laying? If you spread it out with a mastic spreader or a notched trowel it'll only be 1/16" before compression/clamping. That's well within the tolerance, isn't it?

16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

7. Back To Top    #7

I would pull the pavers up and add crushed gravel, you can get this at Lowe's, and then use sand to help level the pavers. Finally I would fill the cracks with a polymeric sand. This will ensure a good sturdy base! Stacking seems to risky and adding loose dirt will just eventually wash out.
    18k, 16X33 IG Grecian Vinyl, Hayward S244t 300lb Sand, 1HP Pump.