I'm a first-time pool owner and I was searching the web for some information on pool maintenance and stumbled into TFP. I have been wandering around the site most of the day and have already found a lot of useful information! I don't know the actual age of the pool, it came with the house I just bought in October. The house was built in 1976 and I suspect the pool may be original to the home. The sellers advised that it was re-plastered sometime in 2010. What brought me to the site were the unsightly white spots that have appeared on the sides and bottom of the pool. It began doing it quite suddenly a couple of months after we moved in. I have read numerous articles/posts here and other places and I believe it's calcium but I don't know if it's delamination, poor water chemistry, or petrified goose poop! I will take some pics tomorrow afternoon with my dive camera and post them here. I will also gather more info on my equipment. Until then...
1. Yes, I have ordered my test kit--Taylor K-2006C (was using strips until now). Yes it's a big kit but I'm OCD.
2. I have created my signature with the information I have on my equipment. Give me a break, I'm just a cop!
3. I now know the difference between FC and CC...I think. Still don't have a clue what pH is or does. Has driven me crazy my whole life!
4. Yes, I wish I had taken chemistry in high school.
5. Yes, I will continue reading pool school stuff while waiting for my kit to come in.
Thanks in advance for the help I feel sure I'm going to get. This site is awesome!