What size pump and filter should i get for my inground pool?

Jul 3, 2012
Hello all,

I've decided I need a new pump and filter (probably DE) and need some help on the size , kind, and brand and probably something I'm forgetting. I've done a little research but who knows if it was the right kind. This is the information I calculated from one website.

Oval shaped inground pool roughly 15' x 30' x 5.25' (average depth 7' + 3.5'/2) x 5.9 = 13,938 gallons, so 14,000 Gallons.

14,000 gallons/ 8 hours =1750 gallons per hour or 29 gallons per minute
14,000 gallons/ 10 hours = 1400 gallons per hour or 23 gallons per minute

I think those calculations are fairly accurate but I get confused with feet of head partially because I don't know exactly how my pool is plumbed besides from being 1 1/2" pipe. Attached is a sloppy :) drawing and a picture of the pool. In the picture of the pool if you can see there are 3 buckets placed on the right side which represent the jets and the pink jug is the skimmer.

Based on the information I have given, can you please direct me to how much feet of head I have, along with what size pump and filter I should get and any other information you can add would be great.

Thanks so much in advance!

Brian
pool1.jpg

Attachments

• pool2.jpg
    pool2.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 61
You don't seem to have any water features or a spa so sizing is pretty easy. Just get the smallest pump you can. I have a 1/2 HP full rated pump on my pool and it is more than big enough for a 20 k pool so you really don't need much for just filtering. You really don't need to figure out head loss. In this case, it isn't important.

A couple of good low HP two speed pumps are:

Pentair SuperFlo 3/4 or 1 HP two speed
Hayward MaxFlo 1 HP two speed

As for filter size, with that size pool, here is what I would recommend:

DE 24-36 sq-ft
Sand 3-4 sq-ft
Cart 125-250 sq-ft

Larger is nearly always better when it comes to filters.

It depends on the pump because two pumps with the same label HP may not be the same "size". Pumps come in three ratings:

Full Rated: Service Factor > 1.3
Up/Max Rated: 1.0 < Service Factor < 1.3
SPL Rated: Service Factor < 1.0

This is why it can be misleading to just go by the label HP when sizing a pump. I have a chart that compares the flow rate of several pumps here:

http://www.troublefreepool.com/thre...you-lost-your-head?p=6230&viewfull=1#post6230

Also, the economic viability of a VS pump depends on two primary factors: $/kwh and location (lightning areas)

High electrical rates paired with a low probability of lightning strikes are the best locations for a VS pump. But for most pool owners, a two speed will usually have a lower lifetime cost.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.