Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What size pump and filter should i get for my inground pool?

1. Back To Top    #1

What size pump and filter should i get for my inground pool?

Hello all,

I've decided I need a new pump and filter (probably DE) and need some help on the size , kind, and brand and probably something I'm forgetting. I've done a little research but who knows if it was the right kind. This is the information I calculated from one website.

Oval shaped inground pool roughly 15' x 30' x 5.25' (average depth 7' + 3.5'/2) x 5.9 = 13,938 gallons, so 14,000 Gallons.

14,000 gallons/ 8 hours =1750 gallons per hour or 29 gallons per minute
    14,000 gallons/ 10 hours = 1400 gallons per hour or 23 gallons per minute

I think those calculations are fairly accurate but I get confused with feet of head partially because I don't know exactly how my pool is plumbed besides from being 1 1/2" pipe. Attached is a sloppy drawing and a picture of the pool. In the picture of the pool if you can see there are 3 buckets placed on the right side which represent the jets and the pink jug is the skimmer.

Based on the information I have given, can you please direct me to how much feet of head I have, along with what size pump and filter I should get and any other information you can add would be great.

Thanks so much in advance!

Brian
    pool1.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: What size pump and filter should i get for my inground pool?

You don't seem to have any water features or a spa so sizing is pretty easy. Just get the smallest pump you can. I have a 1/2 HP full rated pump on my pool and it is more than big enough for a 20 k pool so you really don't need much for just filtering. You really don't need to figure out head loss. In this case, it isn't important.

A couple of good low HP two speed pumps are:

Pentair SuperFlo 3/4 or 1 HP two speed
    Hayward MaxFlo 1 HP two speed

As for filter size, with that size pool, here is what I would recommend:

DE 24-36 sq-ft
    Sand 3-4 sq-ft
    Cart 125-250 sq-ft

Larger is nearly always better when it comes to filters.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

3. Back To Top    #3

thank you mark for your prompt response. So the 3/4 hp that the previous owner had on is too much? What do you mean by full rated pumps? Should I consider a variable speed pump?

4. Back To Top    #4

It depends on the pump because two pumps with the same label HP may not be the same "size". Pumps come in three ratings:

Full Rated: Service Factor > 1.3
    Up/Max Rated: 1.0 < Service Factor < 1.3
    SPL Rated: Service Factor < 1.0
    This is why it can be misleading to just go by the label HP when sizing a pump. I have a chart that compares the flow rate of several pumps here:

http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...ull=1#post6230

Also, the economic viability of a VS pump depends on two primary factors: $/kwh and location (lightning areas)

High electrical rates paired with a low probability of lightning strikes are the best locations for a VS pump. But for most pool owners, a two speed will usually have a lower lifetime cost.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

5. Back To Top    #5

Haha the ratings seem a bit confusing with full rated/service factor etc..Ill have to read your thread...Thanks again