Pentair IC40 Low Salt Light Always On

Jul 29, 2011
Limerick, PA
I think my SWG has died but wanted to get the opinions of some more experience folks!! :)

My SWG was heading into its 4th season. It had been working fine through last season but after getting the salt level up to 4800 ppm, the SWG is still reading low. I have a salt meter and calibrated it using a standards solution (3000 ppm), and had the local pool store verify the same within 200 ppm. The manual says the salt level should be between 3200 and 4200, so I'm already high per the manual. I don't want to keep adding salt to see what happens but I'm thinking the unit has failed. I've power cycled the unit several times but no change. The water temp is about 67 but don't think that should be an issue per the manual. Would welcome any thoughts or words of wisdom if I'm missing something. Thanks in advance!!

This is the normal symptom of a worn out cell. Cells typically last three to five years, so it seems reasonable that the cell might indeed be worn out.

One thing to double check before you give up on the cell is to make sure that there isn't any calcium scaling on the cell, which can also give this same symptom. Looking in through the end of the cell calcium scaling is usually obvious as a white chalky coating on the cell plates. Given your symptoms, if there is calcium scaling it should be very obvious.

Thanks Jason. I forgot to mention that I did acid wash the unit this before opening. The cell was clean and didn't exhibit any reaction to the acid wash at all. After about 2 minutes of nothing I emptied it and washed it out. I remove power from the unit during the winter but don't take it out. I'm wondering if this had some affect on the short lifespan.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.