May 21, 2014
Lake Forest ca.
fc 5.0
tac5.0
ch 680
cya 100ta 180
ph 8.0
tds 3700

I had just a little yellow alge.I put in 2pounds of yellow out and 2 pounds of shock every 12 hours. Now they want me to put in phos free. Then they said to drain pool because of tds, 12000 galleon plaster pool.

Welcome to the forum!

Not sure how much you've been reading, but we do not trust pool store testing. TDS is meaningless - we want to know the important components that make up TDS.

If I were to just start typing, I'd lose you by the end of the first sentence. Take a look at Pool School (upper right corner of every page). A good place to start is the link in my signature. Bottom line, it sounds like you need to SLAM the pool. In order to do that, you need to get yourself a good test kit (and stop going to the pool store!).

Hi, Bill! :wave:

Total Dissolved Solids is meaningless. What is scary is CYA 100 and CH 680. If you believe their test results.

A partial drain would be a good idea, just to reduce the CYA level.

What does the water look like otherwise? If it's clear, and you maintain FC above 7, you might survive without a drain, but it won't be easy. It will be impossible without the right test kit. Most stop at 5 FC.

I feel like a broken record today, but the long-term solution involves investing in a proper test kit and taking control yourself. Once you have test results you can trust, then you can form a plan of attack. Until then you're working blind or at the mercy of the pool store. Do a little reading in the forums. Then maybe investigate Pool School. If you're willing to put in the time, you can get your pool looking better than it's ever looked and keep it that way and only visit the pool store for bizarre parts. I've been maintaining my pool for four years. Never once had to deal with an algae bloom in that whole time. Including test reagent refills, I don't think I spend $400 a year on my pool.

I guess I will have to do some research on cya and ch.I just found this site yesterday .My water is very clear now. It was clear before I started. I only had a little algae. I just don't want to fight algae all summer. I just had a water test at Leslies. They try to sell you everything there. They said to use the granular chorine, I have always used liquid. I sometimes wonder if they want me to drain my pool so they make money on start up supplys.I guess if my TDS is high it can damage my plaster.

I guess I will have to do some research on cya and ch.I just found this site yesterday .My water is very clear now. It was clear before I started. I only had a little algae. I just don't want to fight algae all summer. I just had a water test at Leslies. They try to sell you everything there.
We have a winner!

They said to use the granular chorine, I have always used liquid. I sometimes wonder if they want me to drain my pool so they make money on start up supplys.
Another winner!

I guess if my TDS is high it can damage my plaster.
No, not at all. It depends on the breakdown of the TDS. They didn't tell you that, did they?

Did they tell you phosphates were too high and try to sell you a bottle of liquid gold, I mean, phos-free? :confused: psst - you don't need it.

Yes they did and I bought some. Then I thought it was wrong to fix the phosphates and then drain the pool. I also thought after I did it that putting in the yellow out and use all the chorine and then drain the poll was not right. I did use the yellow out ,and just not sure if I should drain.It might give me a fresh start.

If you want to take control of the pool and not have guess what's going on based on crappy advice from a pool store (which is only designed to take your $$$)... get your own proper test kit: Test Kits Compared I'd recommend the TF-100 (link in my signature) with a Speedstir (optional) and the XL option (also optional, but recommended if you have a swamp to clear).

Then after you've ordered it, read as much Pool School as you can handle in one sitting. Then do more of it. ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry is a perfect place to start. Read through the forums. Ask lots of questions. It takes effort to learn and responsibility to run your own pool, but it's worth it.

People here are more than willing to help. With unbiased advice. Without trying to empty your wallet. Without guessing. For free.

Yes they did and I bought some. Then I thought it was wrong to fix the phosphates and then drain the pool. I also thought after I did it that putting in the yellow out and use all the chorine and then drain the poll was not right. I did use the yellow out ,and just not sure if I should drain.It might give me a fresh start.
There's no way to know without accurate test results. What kind of water restrictions are you under? If you go over your allotment, the rates can get astronomical and they might put a restrictor on your meter and charge you to do it! Sometimes they will cut you some slack if you notify them in advance that you are going to be filling a pool. Usually one every three years, if they offer that. Depends on your water company.

I did ck with the water company. I just need to call them and they will not charge me for overage. The city of lake forest said ok to drain down storm drain as long as there is no chorine in water.I will ck to see where I can buy the good test kit. One more question. Did I need to put the 6 pounds of chorine shock if I was to drain pool. And also , thanks for all your advice. Its nice when people are willing to help.

I did ck with the water company. I just need to call them and they will not charge me for overage. The city of lake forest said ok to drain down storm drain as long as there is no chorine in water.I will ck to see where I can buy the good test kit. One more question. Did I need to put the 6 pounds of chorine shock if I was to drain pool. And also , thanks for all your advice. Its nice when people are willing to help.
Don't add anything to the pool water. The chlorine will end up in the storm drain and they will follow it upstream and cite you. If you're just going to dump it, don't put any chemicals in it! It's a waste of money. And use what water you can on your lawn, or the neighbors' lawn.

The only test kit you might find locally that we recommend is the Taylor K-2006. Leslie's sells it as part 81329.
It is not the same as the K-2005, part K-2005, evenb though they come in the same box. DO NOT let them tell you it's the same!

Spend some time on the phone. If nobody stocks it locally, you'll have to order a kit, and in that case, go to http://tftestkits.net/TF-100-Test-Kit-p4.html and get a TF100. Same reagents, bigger bottles, better value.

Once you have reliable test results, then you'll know how much water you need to replace. It might not be all of it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.