Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Intex 18 X 48 Hard Plumbed, Thru Wall Skimmer and Fountain

1. Back To Top    #1

Intex 18 X 48 Hard Plumbed, Thru Wall Skimmer and Fountain

Hello TFP,

I just wanted to take a few minutes to thank everyone for their help and assistance in making what I saw on this site a true reality in my backyard. Let me first start off by saying, I am NOT a DIY'er, so this was a project that I wanted to showcase to the wife and kids the 'old man' has some talent. First, I replaced the regular filter pump that came with the pool and put a Sand Filter in place - works fantastic! Next, I hard plumbed all the piping using all the suggestions from the folks found on this site (which I must say, I have bookmarked this form on all my computers in my house), installed the thru wall skimmer and added a fountain using the pump and filter that came with the pool. Everything works great! Below are some pictures of the finished product which I wanted to share in appreciation of all the folks who took time out of their day to answer my 1,000's of questions.

Thanks again guys!

18x48 Intex Round Metal pool 6491 gallons Model #54953EG, .75 HP Intex Krystal Clear Sand filter 2800 gph, BBB method, borax 50ppm
    Leslies Deluxe PoolCare OTO Test Kit
    Thru wall skimmer, hard plumbed 1 1/2 sch 40 pvc
    1 large fountain 1 1/2 inch sch 40 pvc, shut off ball valves on all

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Intex 18 X 48 Hard Plumbed, Thru Wall Skimmer and Fountain

Plumbing looks great and so does the sparkling water.
    Sharkline Reprieve 15x52 (3/14). Still using Intex 2650 Sand Filter with Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 3/4 HP pump (6/15). Solar Cover cut into strips for easy removal, (2) 2*10 Space Saver solar panels. Swim Jet HD Robot (by Aquabot) (3/15). Chlorine Liquidator (4 gal). 4 person hot tub. Hard pipe is the way to go for improved flow! Retired Lil Shark (3/15). Starite Max E Therm 333k BTU Propane Heater w/ 24 gal tank (7/15).

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

You've really done a great job...
    Intex Rectangle 18 x 9 x 52', 4544 gallon (18000 litres), 0.75 hp pool pump, 100 sqft Zodiac Titan Cartridge Filter - 40mm, Stenner Peristaltic Pump chlorine injection system, Intex Over The Wall Skimmer, Intex Fittings with 40mm plumbing Lil Patch Of Heaven. Build/Construction http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...lice-of-heaven

4. Back To Top    #4

Beautiful!

18' x 48" (42" water depth) Intex Metal Frame 6,700 Gallons
    Hayward Power-Flo LX 1.0 HP pump
    Hayward Pro Series S166T Sand Filter
    Original Intex Floating Skimmer

5. Back To Top    #5

looks good!! just wondering is this something you take down every season?
    Intex Ultra Frame 16'x48" sand filter w/intex SWG.
    Pool Blaster Max Vacuum
    3rd year with Intex and no problems
    Pentair Mastertemp BTU 125/ propane
    Taylor K2006 Complete FAS-DPD

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by MirellaJoe View Post
    looks good!! just wondering is this something you take down every season?
    I had the pool for 3 years...I took down the pool the first year (had to re-level the ground) but I've had it up the past couple of years with no problems. I live in Texas so the weather gets cold, but not for a huge extended amount of time. So far, no issues with it showing any wear or tear. I winterize the water in the fall months in preparation for the colder months and throw a tarp over it. When I uncover it in spring, with the exception of some leaves, the water is very clear.
    18x48 Intex Round Metal pool 6491 gallons Model #54953EG, .75 HP Intex Krystal Clear Sand filter 2800 gph, BBB method, borax 50ppm

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by laceygirl View Post
    You've really done a great job...
    Thanks Lacey - you helped me on the skimmer location. If memory serves me correctly, you have a rectangle pool and you were going to mount your skimmer on the same side as your suctions. I followed the same logic and everything came out fantastic. Thanks for the advice. BTW, how did that skimmer mod work out for your pool?

8. Back To Top    #8

Fantastic job!!! The water looks so refreshing, clean and clear!
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

9. Back To Top    #9

Looks great! Can you list all the modifications you did? Specifically any additional fittings, strainers, etc. I want mine to look as neat and clean.

10. Back To Top    #10

Beautiful pool!!! But I want to see a photo of the fountain running!!!

We are hoping to do our build this weekend and I am going to try and talk DH in to a fountain. Not out of necessity, just because I think it will be fun.
    2014 Used 33'x54" Wilbar Morada,deep end approx 28,800 gal.
    Hayward S180T1580S pump/filter combo,
    Pentair Aqualuminator light/return, Aquabot S2-50
    TF-100 kit, Initial fill with pond water
    South Central Iowa

11. Back To Top    #11

TFP Guide

I'm really glad everything turned out... Can't wait to get mine up and running, but I've got 5 months of winter to come... So it will be a slow but satisfying build...
    Intex Rectangle 18 x 9 x 52', 4544 gallon (18000 litres), 0.75 hp pool pump, 100 sqft Zodiac Titan Cartridge Filter - 40mm, Stenner Peristaltic Pump chlorine injection system, Intex Over The Wall Skimmer, Intex Fittings with 40mm plumbing Lil Patch Of Heaven. Build/Construction http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...lice-of-heaven

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by Casey View Post
    Fantastic job!!! The water looks so refreshing, clean and clear!
    Thanks you Casey -- Now just need the weather to get a little bit warmer so we can swim! !!!

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by b15nut View Post
    Looks great! Can you list all the modifications you did? Specifically any additional fittings, strainers, etc. I want mine to look as neat and clean.

Thanks B15nut - I had general idea of what I wanted to do based on some of the wonderful mods I've seen folks do to their Intex pools. I got some good feedback from the guys in TFP, and basically drew a diagram of where I wanted everything installed on the pool. I'm not sure if you've seen this link, but this was a lifesaver when I was doing my mods (http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...ex-Pool-Owners) Below are the mods I did:

Hard Plumbing: All of my plumbing is using 1.5 inch PVC pipes. I bought three 10 foot 1.5 pipes (which was plenty). We bought three 1.5 inch ball values (for the intake, the skimmer and the return), I bought 6 Box Adapters fittings from Lowes (I used these to connect my piping to the pool return and inlet and also to connect to the pumps), I got some 1.5 PVC couplings, nine 1.5 90 degree elbows, a couple of 1.5 PVC Tee's and that was it. Once I got the basic idea of what I wanted to do, the rest was measuring, cutting and gluing. I wanted to keep the piping on the ground as to not put any stress on the pool.

Added Thru Wall Skimmer: I ordered the Heritage Thru Wall skimmer from Wal-Mart for $24.99. I hear the Hayward thru wall skimmers are pretty nice as well. This particular skimmer came with a butterfly gasket, so I cut and separated the gaskets. Once I separated the gaskets, I took the skimmer plate that comes with the skimmer, got in the pool and decided where I wanted the skimmer to go. There's great information in the link I attached that shows how to install the skimmer. But if you need help, I can walk you through it.

Pump: I upgraded from the Filter pump to the Intex 16" Sand Filter pump. I liked the Filter pump, but the Sand Pump in really powerful and moves the water. You can't tell in the picture, but the pump really circulates the water around the pool, so by the time it makes it to the skimmer, its really pulling in a lot of debris.

Fountain: The fountain was a last minute add. Once I upgraded to the Sand Filter, it would have been a waste to throw away a perfectly functioning filter....so I used it for my fountain. Again, I used 1.5 PVC pipes to construct the fountain. Since I installed the thru wall, I had a open port where my over the wall skimmer used to be. I basically ran PVC piping from the port, directly into the filter pump...the water comes out of the filter - into the PVC piping - presto fountain! Works great!

I was a little apprehensive starting this project, but once I started, it took no time at all and surprisingly, was pretty simple (remember, I am not a DIY'er). The folks in TFP were very encouraging and knowledgeable. If there's anything I can do to help, let me know.

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by mgarrettd View Post
    Thanks you Casey -- Now just need the weather to get a little bit warmer so we can swim! !!!
    I'm waiting for a warm up too! Had my water at 74 a couple weeks ago. The weather nose dived and took my water temp with it! Grrrrrr

Have a great Memorial Day weekend!!!
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltinMom View Post
    Beautiful pool!!! But I want to see a photo of the fountain running!!!

We are hoping to do our build this weekend and I am going to try and talk DH in to a fountain. Not out of necessity, just because I think it will be fun.
    Here you go! Since I live in Texas - This little added feature should keep the pool nice and cool in the summer months!

16. Back To Top    #16

Looks awesome. I'm thinking of making one to go in one of my returns on my IG pool. Probably the one that's almost underneath the slide.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

17. Back To Top    #17

Man, that looks nice. I have the same pool I'm needing to upgrade. Where did you get the filter/pump, and about how much do you have invested in the upgrades?
    18x48 Intex Ultra Frame, 6,423gal, 1500gph Cartridge, SWG, Setup June 2013.

18. Back To Top    #18

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff405 View Post
    Man, that looks nice. I have the same pool I'm needing to upgrade. Where did you get the filter/pump, and about how much do you have invested in the upgrades?
    Hi Jeff - I bought the Intex Sand Filter from Sears on sale for $169.00. I ordered the skimmer from Walmart.com for $24.99. All the PVC pipes and ball values I bought from Home Depot came to approx. $60 - $70. I just took a couple of hours on the weekend and got it all together. If you need any assistance, let us know. Good luck on the upgrade.

19. Back To Top    #19

You did I very nice job....you should show it off and be proud!!!
    Intex Ultra Frame 18' x 52"
    Intex 3000 gph Sand Filter Pump, Intex Salt Water System SWG
    Hayward Thru Wall Skimmer and stock return line
    Two Hayward I lets
    Florida/Alabama

20. Back To Top    #20

Quote Originally Posted by kyles974 View Post
    You did I very nice job....you should show it off and be proud!!!
    Thank you so much Kyle - I appreciate that. As soon as the weather gets a little warmer...I intend to have a little get together with some friends and do a little grill out with some food and music!