New to being "the pool guy" need help

May 21, 2014
Algonquin, IL
I've inherited an ingound vinyl liner pool with overflowing spa. total volume 19,500 Gallons, Jandy 1.5HP Pump, New Hayward sand filter (24 gallon), Using TF Test Kit. I've been to multiple pools stores and everyone has a differing opinion on what to do to balance the water. Seems like a great way to procure $500+ from a poor pool owner every year at opening. I live in Chicagoland and we had a BRUTAL winter. The mesh loop lock cover is a nice safety feature but also a nice siv.

So far, with the expertise of pool store, I've put about 40 pounds of granule shock and 19 gallons of liquid shock. Also about 31 pounds of alkalinity increaser. My TF Test kit #'s are:

PH = 7.2
Alkalinity = 240 ppm
FC = 45
CC = 0
CYA = 70

I need to have this water balanced and clear in the next 4 days... PLEASE HELP!!!

Thank you in advsnce

How's the water look? Ph is a little low. FC is high but should go down on it's own, maybe in 4 days if you get a lot of sunshine. Cya is also a little high for IL. Might want to drain a bit out to lower. That should help with the high FC too.

What kind of granular shock did you add? It may have raised your Cya even higher.

Others will chime in soon to help too.

Welcome, Jason! :wave:

The big question is: what does the water look like? Clear with junk on the bottom? Hazy? Too cloudy to see through? Green? Black? Sludge? If it's just junk or hazy, you might be able to clear it in time. Otherwise, you might as well put the cover back on it.

You've just discovered a big truth -- the pool stores don't always know what to tell you. If you want to get out of their clutches, get your own test kit and take control. There are only two test kits worth considering. The Taylor K-2006 or the TF100. Don't let a pool store sell you a K-2005. Despite the same box, it's not the same kit.

Start reading some stories. If you think you can handle this, order a test kit and start reading the beginner pages in Pool School so we're speaking the same language.

First Time Shocking with Bleach
Pretty black pool
A little encouragement for those with algae and new to BBB
Frog Filled Green Swamp to Oasis---Work in Progress!!!
Before and After Pool Pics
Before and after!
A final picture set of how well the BBB method works!

Did any of those pool stores use the wheel of fortune?

attachment.php

Re: New to being "the pool guy" need help

i appreciate the response.

I started with 10 # 73% Cal hypo
Next Day 19 Gallons of 12.5% Sodium Hypo liquid
Next Day 5# 73% Cal Hypo
Next Day 24# 73% Cal Hypo

- - - Updated - - -

The water looks great, actually looks swimmable... i can see the bottom, needs maybe 1 more vacuum...

btw, thank you for the warm welcome... i;ve actually read quite a bit of threads here and stories, just getting to the point where its coming into focus!

- - - Updated - - -

Not kidding, opened pool last Wednesday and last shock event was on Sunday.

Welcome to TFP!

You are lucky that you were not using a different form of powdered chlorine or you would have worse problems, like high CYA.

The numbers do not look too bad, besides the TA and FC being a bit high, but they will come down. You have a great test kit, so you are well on your way. What is the CH?

How much of Pool School have you read?

Try adding a little DE to your filter. Since your water is a little cloudy the FC will kill off whatever is in there and the DE will help a sand filter pick up finer debris. Let your FC drop to slam level and keep it there until the water is clear, you have .5 CC or less, and you pass the overnight chlorine loss test .

Please edit your signature to include information about the pool such as pool type (above ground or in ground), surface (vinyl, plaster, or fiberglass), size in gallons, pump brand and horsepower, filter type (sand, DE, or cartridge), filter brand and size, and any water features, cleaning systems, and if there is a spa (attached or detached). It will make it easier for us to help you if we don't have to hunt back through the thread for this information.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.