can 3rd party pump be too big for an intex

freebird1963

Jul 30, 2012
Our "normal" pool was getting up there in years so we tore it down for fear of it collapsing and flooding our lower level neighbor couple of years ago and now we have a Intex 16ft ultra frame. Its been fine but wifey wanted to put the old pump and filter on it. Told her wouldn't work cuz of the connections etc.
Well she went out and got the old filter and pump and hooked them up and its working with no leaks. (Been busting my butt too since I told her no way would it match up )
The pump is a AO Smith Century like 2 or 2 1/2 hp 3450 rpm. The return is pushing out some water.
I was wondering if its possible to push to much water out and tear or rip the liner. ?

Thanks
Mark

You told her she couldn't and she showed you she would! :mrgreen:

Possible, yes. Likely, no not at all. That pump is oversized for that pool, but it is unlikely to cause any problem other than using a lot of electricity.

Thanks. Might be a trade off between that smaller Intex pump that took longer. Will have to watch the bill. I have one of them watt readers will have to throw it on there and see how much more is used.
THanks

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.