Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: can 3rd party pump be too big for an intex

1. Back To Top    #1

can 3rd party pump be too big for an intex

Our "normal" pool was getting up there in years so we tore it down for fear of it collapsing and flooding our lower level neighbor couple of years ago and now we have a Intex 16ft ultra frame. Its been fine but wifey wanted to put the old pump and filter on it. Told her wouldn't work cuz of the connections etc.
    Well she went out and got the old filter and pump and hooked them up and its working with no leaks. (Been busting my butt too since I told her no way would it match up )
    The pump is a AO Smith Century like 2 or 2 1/2 hp 3450 rpm. The return is pushing out some water.
    I was wondering if its possible to push to much water out and tear or rip the liner. ?

Thanks
    Mark

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: can 3rd party pump be too big for an intex

Possible, yes. Likely, no not at all. That pump is oversized for that pool, but it is unlikely to cause any problem other than using a lot of electricity.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

You told her she couldn't and she showed you she would!
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Casey View Post
    You told her she couldn't and she showed you she would!
    Does it all the time. When I go to a softball tourney over the weekend I have no clue to what new remodeling project I will come back to.
    Walls gone, floors pulled up.

5. Back To Top    #5

lol She sounds just like me!!!
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion View Post
    Possible, yes. Likely, no not at all. That pump is oversized for that pool, but it is unlikely to cause any problem other than using a lot of electricity.
    Thanks. Might be a trade off between that smaller Intex pump that took longer. Will have to watch the bill. I have one of them watt readers will have to throw it on there and see how much more is used.
    THanks

7. Back To Top    #7

With a much stronger flow, you should be able to run that pump 1/4 of the time you had to with the Intex.
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.