Single SLAM?

astronaut888

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 7, 2013
southeast
pool.jpg

Posted a photo of my pool in another thread to see if I was able to successfully upload photos - and I was! - so, gonna go with my question with regards to why I took the photo in the first place

In the photo, the far wall tends to stay in the shade for the majority of the day - the wall itself faces West, and, by the time the sun gets to where It would normally shine on that wall, it is typically obscured by trees - so, essentially, that entire wall doesn't ever get direct sunlight.

My water chemistry is as follows

pH 7.5
TA 100
CYA 50
TC 6 (kept between 4 and 7 or 8)
CC either 0 or 0.5 - I have had faint pink appear but never a repeatable test - subsequent tests always show no color change (?)

Pool was recently (about 2.5 months ago) repaired and had new liner/water

My concern is that I have noticed small areas of what I think is algae on that far wall - to the right of the ladder where the vertical wall transitions into the deep as well as directly under the return in the shallow end (you can see the return in the photo)

The areas are about 5 inches X one inch and look greenish and brush off easily
I don't see them every time I am brushing, but, about once a week they will appear

I had mustard algae years ago with the old liner while I was a BioGuard slave and don't want it again! Surprised I ever got it under control back then to begin with as my chemistry was so off.

My question is, with the pool clear and not appreciably losing tons of FC daily (between 2 and 3 max) and a seemingly negligible CC reading, should I consider SLAM process - and, if so, is there a likelihood that it would only require ONE application to shock level?

I have a party this weekend and the pool will be getting some considerable use and wasn't sure if this should be addressed before or after the party.

My newbie brain says to go ahead and hit shock level once before this weekend, but, that may well be a totally wrong approach!

It sure sounds like a reoccurence of mustard algae. I am able to get rid of it in my pool by elevating the chlorine to about 12 ppm (my CYA is 50) and then brushing that spot about twice a day for a couple of days......that does it.

However, yours' might be a bit more stubborn and need SLAM value chlorine (20 ppm). Be sure to brush it up and away more than once to get any remnants that may have been left behind.

How often are you brushing the pool? Ours gets a bit of algae under the ladder when I slack off removing the ladder and brushing underneath. A good brush gets rid of it each time. To be safe, I too would try an OCLT.

It won't hurt anything but your wallet to raise FC to SLAM level. If you do the overnight loss test and it passes, you're done. You already paased the clarity and CC tests. That pool looks great!

Is there some way to aim a return jet towards the problem area? That should stop whatever it is from forming.

Can't quite get the jets to hit those areas:mad:
Forgot to add that I have done oclt 2 times and had no discernible loss of FC

I think I'm confused how all can be well with my testing and oclt and still I may see small patches of algae - and, how much of a concern this should be

- - - Updated - - -

How often are you brushing the pool? Ours gets a bit of algae under the ladder when I slack off removing the ladder and brushing underneath. A good brush gets rid of it each time. To be safe, I too would try an OCLT.

By "gets rid" of it, you mean that proper water FC levels and a brush up do the trick without SLAMing

I think I'm confused how all can be well with my testing and oclt and still I may see small patches of algae - and, how much of a concern this should be
Simply put, it is not a perfect world and pool water chemistry is certainly not a black and white issue.

I will say that when I see my mustard algae appear it is usually attributable to something I have been slack about it........but some things I just have to chalk up as "**** happens".

Well, the weekend is over and the pool still looks fantastic.

I've NEVER had an experience where folks were in the pool ALL DAY and it never get cloudy by the end of the day.
But, with TFPC, it stayed crystal clear the entire day, felt great, and looked the same at 8pm as it did at noon.

Fantastic.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.