Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Liquid solar cover vs blue solar cover

1. Back To Top    #1

Liquid solar cover vs blue solar cover

Any opinions on the best to keep pool warm. Also is liquid solar cover safe for children swimming in it.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Liquid solar cover vs blue solar cover

30'x54" Quest Above Ground Round Pool , About 21,000 Gallons , Hayward Perflex EC50 D.E. Filter System 1.5HP Power-Flo Pump , TF-100 Test Kit , Two Hayward Main Drains on the Bottom , Hayward CL200 In-Line Above-Ground Chlorinator.
    77"x77"x21.5" Hot Tub

3. Back To Top    #3

I was also wondering the same thing i did watch the video but I'm not too sure if it's really safe, I know they say it is but personally I wouldnt use it because in the end whats really in it to make it work? GWIM? just my opinion
    Intex Ultra Frame 16'x48" sand filter w/intex SWG.
    Pool Blaster Max Vacuum
    3rd year with Intex and no problems
    Pentair Mastertemp BTU 125/ propane
    Taylor K2006 Complete FAS-DPD

4. Back To Top    #4

A solar blanket is your best bet. The liquid stuff won't stay even on the pool surface if there's any wind.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

5. Back To Top    #5

+ 1 with using a solar cover. You will get a little temp increase with a solar cover but they are best at retaining the water temp over night that you would lose to do evaporation.
    You get the most temp increase with the cover off providing its a sunny hot day with little to no wind.
    Here's a good place to get Solar Covers
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

6. Back To Top    #6

I find I can get my pool really warm by removing the cover and shutting the pump off and letting the sun beat down on the pool verses letting the cover on the pool. I just make sure I cover at night to retain that heat.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Casey View Post
    I find I can get my pool really warm by removing the cover and shutting the pump off and letting the sun beat down on the pool verses letting the cover on the pool. I just make sure I cover at night to retain that heat.
    Very interesting. I will be trying this tomorrow. I just added my solar heater and currently use a solar cover. When just using the cover and having it covered all day I would only notice a slight temp increase at the very top of the pool.
    15'x4' Metal Frame Intex 3yo (2nd year winterized) 16" 2650gph intex sand filter, Thru wall skimmer, dual inlet/single outlet, 1000gph intex pump (heater) Solar Cover TF-100 testkit, TFPC

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by mrmacdad12 View Post
    Very interesting. I will be trying this tomorrow. I just added my solar heater and currently use a solar cover. When just using the cover and having it covered all day I would only notice a slight temp increase at the very top of the pool.
    Me too. The first 6 inches or so would be very warm, almost hot and the bottom would be ice cold. But I gained over 5 degrees thoroughly (not just a layer) when I shut my pump and filter off on a very sunny, 80 degree day and let the sun beat down on the pool, the whole way through and covered it at night. from 68 - 73 degrees and holding until the weather went south and I plummeted back into the mid 60's. I will be doing the same again as soon as it warms up.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter