Still CLOUDY

afrikaanmomma

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 22, 2013
SW Ohio
Hello

1./ I opened the pool 12 days ago and have been SLAMing it since then. It was a thick green swamp. Now it is just cloudy, and has been for 5 days with no improvement. Do I just stay the course, continue SLAMing, and be patient? Do I try some Sand Aid powder or some Clarifier? CC is over 0.5 - so am I still fighting algae? I have not performed an OCLT

2./ I can't seem to get a reading on CYA, it must be non-existent as I can see the black dot when the water is clear to the top of the tester. (Pool place says I cant get a reading until the water is at least 70*F - is this true?) I use K-2006 kit. Is there a way to test CYA by using less than 7mL of water and less than 7mL of R-0013? can I adjust to 3.5mL of each and get an accurate reading? I filled the automatic chlorinator with tabs and turned it on to 3, in hopes of raising CYA. Last year we had to pump water out and get fresh water delivered (on well here) as the CYA was over 100 - i most certainly DON'T want a repeat of that.

FC 16
CC 1.5
PH 7.4
TA 100

Thanks for any help!

I wish you'd posted a few days ago.... your pool could be clear by now. Or at least clearer.

If CC is above .5, you're still fighting something. There might be organic debris on the bottom that you can't see. Are you vacuuming blind? You should be. Ladders, steps, and pool lights are also notorious hiding places for algae. Scrub 'em good, especially underneath and behind.

If you have no CYA, that's part of the problem. Sunlight will destroy half the chlorine before it gets a chance to kill anything. You should add enough to get to 30 or so. That will raise the SLAM FC level to 12, not much higher than you've been targeting, but it will last longer. The CYA test is affected by temperature, so scoop up a sample and bring it inside and set it in a windowsill until it warms up. Then run the test. The exact quantities don't matter, as long as it's 50-50 and you have enough to fill the tube. Only test CYA with that sample. Some other tests can be affected by sitting too long.

It's certainly worth trying some DE or cellulose powder. See if one of your neighbors has a DE filter and will give you a can full. It doesn't take much. Adding DE to a Sand Filter. Be sure to watch the pressure gauge - don't just add it and head off to work. You might find the filter clogged when you get home. If the pool is really cloudy, it can load up really fast.

Keep us posted.

Your SLAM has been extended because there is no CYA in your pool. Using PoolMath, dose enough CYA in your pool to get to 20-30 ppm.......the tabs will work but very slowly.....they are not good for a SLAM.

Next bring your FC up to 12 or so ppm and KEEP IT THERE until your pool clears. Review the SLAM article in Pool Scholll and follow it to a T.

Do NOT dilute the CYA test. It is hard enough to read accurately and diluting it will make the test very unreliable. Order more reagent.

Thanks for the tips. I've been vacuuming using the kreepy, but will do it by hand. Last year the light in the deep-end had been the initial culprit of algae growth. I think I will undo it and hang it free in the pool and scrub the interior hole just to be safe. Ill scrub the ladders too. I'm determined to have a beautiful pool this year... and if it ever warms up, use it too!

I'll keep you posted! Thanks,

- - - Updated - - -

Ok, im nervous to mess it up, but I'll increase the CYA. Thanks, I hate all this wasted time!!

Hello,

so it has been 4 days since my post. The pool has been blind vacuumed, light out and scrubbed, ladders cleaned. It is still cloudy! I'll keep SLAMing, but when can I expect clear sparkling water? Thanks for your help

I have brought the CYA up to 20, actually it's more like 25.

FC is 14,
CC 0.5,
pH 7.2 (working on raising it)
TA 100 (working on raising it)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.