From Green to Crystal Clear! Now to figure out how to keep it chlorinated

Teq

May 12, 2014
Massachusetts
I wish I took a before picture, but here is the after
http://imgur.com/O9WaMT3
Took that couple days ago, its even better today.

Was pretty green to start. Got my TF-100 kit, and got to work.
After SLAMing it for a few days, every day it got better.

These are my current levels:

TC - 7.5
FC - 7.5
CYA - 18 (black dot is barely visible at the top of the tube, so I am estimating here)
TA - 70
pH - 7.0

My CYA is still low, but I just added a bunch of stabilizer the other day, so I am waiting a few days to see if it goes up.

Next steps:
I need to add some baking soda to increase TA and pH a little based on the poolMath.

Now, I have an in-line chlorinator that I have not installed yet. Everything I am reading says I might not want to go with trichlor tabs, as it constantly adds CYA, which would eventually become a problem. Everything else for chlorine seems to be powder or liquid form, which wouldn't work with an in-line?

Should I go with trichlor and just keep an eye on CYA? Or do they have chlorine tabs that do not add CYA? Or do you suggest a different system?

Thanks!
I

I need to add some baking soda to increase TA and pH a little based on the poolMath.
Use 20 Mule Team Borax to do that.....not baking soda.

The most perfect form of chlorine is bleach (also called liquid chlorine). You can use the pucks but must monitor your CYA so it doesn't exceed around 50 ppm.

You don't want to use that chlorinator for everyday chlorination. Every 8 oz puck in your 10,000 gallon pool will raise FC 5.5, raise CYA 3.3, and lower pH .29. With 2 FC loss per day, which is a bit optimistic, that will mean almost 3 pucks a week. Every single week you will be adding roughly 10 CYA! If you're at 18 now, by 4th of July, CYA will be up to almost 70! By Labor day, your pool will be a murky mess with a CYA in three figures and an insatiable appetite for chlorine.

See if you can't return that chlorinator. If not, keep it for vacations. There are liquid feeders. Search for Liquidator or Stenner in the search box. You'll find lots. I just dump chlorine out of a jug everyday. Another alternative is to install a saltwater generator.

Have you read How to Chlorinate Your Pool?

I wouldn't add any TA yet. See what happens in a few days. Your tap water will likely add some when you top off. pH can be raised fast with some Borax.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.