Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Replace skimmer

1. Back To Top    #1

Replace skimmer

My skimmer is cracked from a couple years ago and I have been patching it with pool putty. I bought a new skimmer to replace it. Will I have problems with the liner moving when I remove the face plate screws? The liner is two years old and is a unibead style that is hooked over the wall with a bead receiver over it. I am not worried about the top, only the cut out area and the screw holes lining up again. I will lower the water level a little below the skimmer bottom. Just a little afraid to remove it.
    24' above ground, 2008 Esther Williams, 13,500 gallon, 200# sand filter, 1.5hp pump, bottom drains.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Replace skimmer

I need to do the same thing. I'm interested to see what advice you get.

24 ft Round Above Ground - 13500 gallons... Former Pool Frog user. Sand filter . Located just South of Atlanta

3. Back To Top    #3

Just did mine and liner did not move at all.

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by willyk9 View Post
    Just did mine and liner did not move at all.
    Same here. Drain the water to just below the skimmer opening, and the liner should stay in place. While everything is taken apart, consider replacing the skimmer gasket if it looks beat up.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks! I feel better now.
    24' above ground, 2008 Esther Williams, 13,500 gallon, 200# sand filter, 1.5hp pump, bottom drains.

6. Back To Top    #6

I ordered a skimmer from Amazon, got it replaced today. It was very easy. No problems with the liner moving. I'm finally drip free on all of my plumbing!

24 ft Round Above Ground - 13500 gallons... Former Pool Frog user. Sand filter . Located just South of Atlanta