Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: new owner outside chicago

1. Back To Top    #1

new owner outside chicago

I recently purchased a foreclosed home. I have 30 foot above ground pool 4 foot deep. Based on what I have read I have been using 30000 gallons for all chem so far. now this pools was left untouched and uncovered for 2-3 years.

initial kill off I used 5lbs shock and 15 gallons of 8% bleach over a 2 day period.

cya is still at 0
    ph is 7.6
    cl 1.2
    calcium is between 350-400

I am having trouble keeping the cl above 1. I have tablets in the filter basket at all times and am putting 1-2 gallons of bleach per day in it.

I have some built ups scale on the outside wall of the pool and the water is very cloudy.

going to try and raise the cya by adding some stabilizer hoping this will help with the cl issue. any ideas on the cloudy water and scale on the side

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: new owner outside chicago

Welcome to the forum.

read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School. You need a refresher on the basics. Your CYA should be about 20-30 ppm and can only get in your pool if you add it.

Your FC will not stay in the pool for 2 reasons.......you have organics in your pool that consume chlorine as they are killed and, most importantly, without CYA the sunlight will quickly destroy the chlorine which renders your SLAM useless.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome, Matt!

I hope you saved the empty bags of "shock" so you know what was in it. Powdered Chlorine will add either Calcium or CYA. So you might actually have some CYA in the water, just not enough to show up on the test.

What test kit are you using?
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Taylor Complete FAS-DPD Kit

it was a 5lb canister of shock and I tossed it.

5. Back To Top    #5

16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

last nights #'s
    fc 0
    cc .5-1
    PH7.2
    CYA still showing 0 but there has to be some in there
    started the slam with 4 gallons of 10%
    fc 10
    cc>.5
    added 4 gallon of 8.4 % bleach
    FC 20
    CC>.5
    FC 20
    cc>.5

since it stayed the same over the hour I left it alone overnight to see how it held up

this morning
    FC 10
    forgot to check CC

Will start the slam again when I get home see if I can get the FC to hold overnight. The water is still very cloudy. I am getting a 10% raise in psi every 24 hours so I am backwashing every day. Was going to get some DE to add to the sand filter today when I get home see if that helps.

7. Back To Top    #7

Welcome neighbor....Keep us posted. Where outside Chicago?
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by MattP22 View Post

Will continue the SLAM when I get home see if I can get the FC to hold overnight.

Was going to get some DE to add to the sand filter today when I get home see if that helps.
    I changed a couple of words above. It's a subtle difference, but it's very important. The whole process is the SLAM process (even if you have to let up on it a little to go to work).

Don't bother with the DE yet. If you're going up 10psi every day, the filter is working fine, and adding DE at this point will only slow the process.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

9. Back To Top    #9

I live in Sycamore, IL easier to say Chicago fro climate purposes.

10. Back To Top    #10

There's a great restaurant with a nice martini list in Sycamore. Drawing a blank on the name...

Good luck - let us know if you need anything....
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

11. Back To Top    #11

I have to imagine that would be Nats on Maple

12. Back To Top    #12

slammed it again Friday and it held FC overnight. was out of town sat and Sunday and came back to FC4 cc 0 ph of 7.1.
    I though it was strange that ph went down while I was gone since I didn't;t do anything with it.

water is still cloudy. I was in it yesterday and there is a white powder that comes off the side walls when touch it so I ran the vacuum along the walls to see if it helps. would this be to the high calcium?

13. Back To Top    #13

Glad to see I'm not the only one from Sycamore making a go of it.
    16' x 32' (21100 gal), vinyl, 1.5 hp Hayward SuperPump,
    Tagelus TA60/60D Sand Filter, Raypak 399K Digital Heater, TF-100

14. Back To Top    #14

think I bought Walmart out of bleach had to hit up target on Friday night.

15. Back To Top    #15

Something's missing here-how much cya did you add? In the OP you mentioned keeping tabs in the skimmers-are they perhaps cal hypo tabs? My gut tells me your powdered cl was cal hypo.
    Pool size: 24000gal inground Vinyl-Taylor k-2006 and k-1766 test kits and-speed stir
    Intermatic P1353ME digital timer w/freeze sensor
    CircuPool Si-45 SWCG System
    Polaris 280 vacuum/Polaris PB4-60 boost pump
    Pentair IntelliFlo VS 3hp Pump--Pentair sand filter

16. Back To Top    #16

Not sure on how much CYA is there. Since I added 5 lbs of powdered shock and probably 7-10lbs of pucks have gone in it. I am guessing there is some CYA there but the test was still registering 0 on friday. I was going to wait a few more days and test CYA again see if it registers.

17. Back To Top    #17

You said you are going to try to add some cya, so how much did you add? 2lbs, 4lbs? not asking for ppm. Assuming you still have the bucket of tabs, what kind are they? You said you threw out the canister the powder came in so there's no way of knowing what that was. I'm trying to figure out how much cya you might have in your pool if any. As far as I can tell all you say is there is 0 based on some kind of test.
    Pool size: 24000gal inground Vinyl-Taylor k-2006 and k-1766 test kits and-speed stir

18. Back To Top    #18

I have not added any CYA yet. I was going to ask what would be a good CYA target to have

19. Back To Top    #19

Aha! So you're kind of depending on any cya you think was added by all that shock and tabs you've used that may not have any Stabilizer in them? 30- 50ppm is a good starting point. Half at a time, then retest to see how much more you need.