Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Slide Bonding

1. Back To Top    #1

Slide Bonding

My inground pool was built 2 years ago, with concrete decking. I'm looking to install a slide now. The concrete was plumbed for the water hookup, but I don't see a way to attach a slide to the bonding grid. How much do I need to worry about this? Do certain slides not require bonding? Maybe those without metal posts? Thanks.
    25,000 gallon inground vinyl
    1 hp Hayward Superpump. Hayward Perflex DE filter
    Aquarite salt generator

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Slide Bonding

Only metal parts with any dimension over 4" need to be bonded. Some slides are all plastic.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

since the only parts of the slide that are likely to be metal are the legs, I doubt there is much of a hazard to worry about. The electrical potential of each leg will be quite small so I doubt you would feel any electrical anomaly from them
    Unknown make 18' above ground (bought used in 1999) Sparco sand filter. Hayward 100,000 BTu heater. 2 speed pump

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for your responses. The slide I was looking at is the wild ride made by Interfab. It appears to have fairly thin metal posts. I assume I would be ok with it?
    Aquarite salt generator

5. Back To Top    #5

The Interfab WILD RIDE does not appear to require bonding.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Page 3 of the Assembly and Installation Instructions for the Interfab has a large block of text that says "ALL SLIDES SHOULD BE GROUNDED Check your local electrical code requirements".

I think their use of the word grounded is incorrect; it should read bonded, but that's a very common word substitution.

Of course it's all up to the code enforcement folks to decide but the code clearly requires all conductive items greater than 4" in any dimension to be bonded. There is no exception granted for "I don't think it's necessary" or thinking it's just too hard to do. The rules are meant to protect current owners and future occupants from death.
    21K gal 16' x 40' in-ground pool built 1959, old school with Jacuzzi bronze pump, American Products 24" Sand Filter & Americana Multiport valve, Jandy Lite2 millivolt heater, Coverstar cover, and classic Kreepy Krauly.

7. Back To Top    #7

Interesting. If you read through the rest of the manual you will see that they make no provision for bonding and the various metal parts are not even connected together. And assuming the hand rails are not metal (which is far from clear) I don't see anything metal that is 4" or more. If you look at some of their other slides you will see several where the metal parts are all connected together and bonding lugs are provided.

8. Back To Top    #8

Then maybe it doesn't apply to that model and it's a general warning they put on all their manuals.
    21K gal 16' x 40' in-ground pool built 1959, old school with Jacuzzi bronze pump, American Products 24" Sand Filter & Americana Multiport valve, Jandy Lite2 millivolt heater, Coverstar cover, and classic Kreepy Krauly.

9. Back To Top    #9

Would it be even possible to bond a slide after a concrete pour without tearing up the existing concrete?
    Aquarite salt generator

10. Back To Top    #10

Yes, but not at all easily. Typically you use a circular saw to cut slots which then have a bonding wire pressed in. The slots are then filled back with concrete. They invariably show, but aren't too bad.

11. Back To Top    #11

TFP Guide

Another option is if the water line feeding it is metal, you can hook to that and them bond the other end of the water line to the grid
    Unknown make 18' above ground (bought used in 1999) Sparco sand filter. Hayward 100,000 BTu heater. 2 speed pump