NY
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Turbo Cell (T-CELL-5)
My old skimmer cracked over the winter so I was forced to replace the old one with a new one. Have a 12x24 oval above ground and for many years had one of those skimmers with the really long basket that had the filter attached to the skimmer. I used to drop a Pletco 100 in there and all was good.

Figured it was a good time to replace the all in one skimmer/filter with a separate filter system. Went with a Pentair 100sq cartridge filter with a 2 speed Opti-Flo 1.5hp pump. I then replaced the old skimmer with a standard skimmer.

My issue is when vacuuming, keep in mind I have always vacuumed with one of those socks on the basket and the basket in the skimmer. Whether I used the old pump or the new Pentair system and the new skimmer both pumps start to suck air quickly like it is not getting enough water flow. My water level is normal but the only thing different is the new vacuum plate inlet to attack the hose is about a 1/4 smaller in diameter and the diameter of the skimmer basket itself is smaller than the old one. I also trimmed my old plate down so it fit in the new basket but has a larger inlet where the hose attaches and still the same thing.

I attached a couple pictures. I have the usual skimmer and then a bottom drain so that is why I have the setup with the ball valves. Regular skimmer comes into the top then out to the pump, bottom drain comes in the bottom and out the same way to the pump as the top, bottom ball valve is closed for now since just opening the pool.

Also does anyone know how to get the top off the filter? I can get the locking ring off but does the top pull off or screw off? I've tried both and can't budge it.

photo.jpg
photo1.jpg

Picture of the new Pentair pump/filter. Been running it since last night and did an amazing job cleaning up the pool.

Couple questions regarding the filter as this is my first external cartridge filter. Pressure was about 12psi when I first started it, now since running last night up to about 16, definitely cleaned it up nice but how do I get the top off to clean the filter??

24l4zr5.jpg
[/IMG]

You open the filter by removing the locking ring and then pulling the cover up. The first time you open one of those can be very difficult. It gets easier as the parts wear in. Often pulling on one side, so it tilts slightly helps.

You open the filter by removing the locking ring and then pulling the cover up. The first time you open one of those can be very difficult. It gets easier as the parts wear in. Often pulling on one side, so it tilts slightly helps.

Thanks, after running it for a day the top came right off, pressure was up from the day before and flow pressure was down. Cleaned the filter and back to normal, water is crystal clear.

Anyone have suggestions on the easiest way to clean one of these Pentair 100sq cartridges?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.