Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: water flow

1. Back To Top    #1

water flow

Hi All, Have a question and would appreciate any feedback. I am trying to figure out what is the best direction for me to face my pool return jets for the best circulation. When there are particles floating in the air that get in the pool it just seems they dont reach the skimmer like I want. I have 2 bottom drains, 1 skimmer basket at the shallow end with a return right across from it, and 1 return in the deep end. Right now I have the deep end return facing down and on the shallow end it is facing directly toword the skimmer. Should I keep them where you can actually see the surface of the water moving or face them more downward. Thanks!!
    23k gal IG Vinyl Liner
    Sand Filter Pentair Pump VS
    Electric Heat Ft Wayne Indiana
    Built 2012

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: water flow

Aiming returns is art, not science.

After four years of messing with mine, I still can't eliminate all the dead spots. It does simplify vacuuming, though. All the debris ends up in one drift.

There's too many variables, not the least of which is wind.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

You might try at least partially closing the drains so that more water is directed to the skimmer. Another thought is that since you have drains, the return at the deep end does not need to be aimed down.
    14k gal IG vinyl, Jandy Flopro 1 hp up-rated, 2 spd pump, Hayward 325 sq ft cartridge filter, Circupool Si-40 SWCG

4. Back To Top    #4

yeah that makes sense. I will just continue to do what I have been, tweeking them a bit each day. My debris does end up in a pile at the deep end.
    23k gal IG Vinyl Liner
    Built 2012

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by sargent View Post
    You might try at least partially closing the drains so that more water is directed to the skimmer. Another thought is that since you have drains, the return at the deep end does not need to be aimed down.
    Yeah I bet your right!!
    23k gal IG Vinyl Liner
    Built 2012