Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: clorox shock

1. Back To Top    #1

clorox shock

New brand at Lowes , does this have stabilizer in it ? Is this just the same old stuff with new branding

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: clorox shock

pics

3. Back To Top    #3

It is a bit blurry but I think that says trichlor under ingredients, so it is stabilized
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

4. Back To Top    #4

It says it's tri-chlor.
    8600 gallons (18' x 4.5' round), Sherlok 120 Cartridge filter, AG installed 1999, Hayward Matrix Pro (2013), , well water topping off fill by Fire Dept. (2013)

5. Back To Top    #5

Took some hunting....

Pool stuff is not on the Clorox page, it's here: http://cloroxpool.com/msds-info/

That "shock" is just trichlor and boric acid and soda ash MSDS Since it has trichlor, yes, it has stabilizer.

Another complication to confuse new people.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

Looks like trichlor with pH increasing compounds to offset normal pH drop that usually happens with trichlor?
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

7. Back To Top    #7

It's not on the Clorox page, because Clorox just rented out the name. I wondered who was really behind this company. According to this article it is KIK Custom Products who purchased Chem-Lab (which we've seen before). They have a subsidiary, Easy 1 2 3 Pool Care LLC, that has a licensing deal with Clorox to use the Clorox on their products.

I found another article that's very pessimistic about this venture.
    “If you asked someone, ‘Hey, what chemicals are you putting in your pool?’ They wouldn’t have a clue,” says Art Harre, president of pool and spa products for Haviland USA.
    20,000 gal in-ground plaster pool with sand filter. Replastered recently. Mostly adding bleach and acid. CYA was high when I took over.

8. Back To Top    #8

They had Clorox brand muriatic acid at Lowe's today for $2 more than the KemTek brand and it's made by the same company! I guess they're hoping people will pay more for a familiar name.
    20,000 gal in-ground plaster pool with sand filter. Replastered recently. Mostly adding bleach and acid. CYA was high when I took over.

9. Back To Top    #9

I think that Clorox brand muriatic acid is bound to cause confusion. Also, the product says this:

Compatible with Salt Pools....... No
    I'm not sure why they would say that it is not compatible with salt pools.

10. Back To Top    #10

We have seen that label on other muriatic acid as I recall .... weird.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

11. Back To Top    #11

They even have easy to use "chlorinating liquid!" http://cloroxpool.com/product/chlorinating-liquid/

I wonder how much they charge for this bottle of bleach?
    15 ft x 35 ft, 20,000 gallon IG Plaster, Sta-Rite Cristal Flo II Sand Filter (3.15 ft2/300 lbs, 70 gal/min), Sta-Rite Pump (1 HP), Pentair MasterTemp 400 Heater (400,000 BTU), CoverStar Automatic Cover, Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark Vacuum, Built April 2014

12. Back To Top    #12

That is just 10% instead of their usual 8.25% strength.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by gbod View Post
    They even have easy to use "chlorinating liquid!" http://cloroxpool.com/product/chlorinating-liquid/

I wonder how much they charge for this bottle of bleach?
    At Lowe's recently Clorox brand chlorinating liquid was $4.88 (10% 1gal). Kem-Tec was $3.68 (10% 1gal). So you pay 30% for the name brand on the label. The stuff is probably from the same plant.

The KT brand is slightly cheaper that what I pay for GreatValue per chlorine oz, but they keep it outside at the Lowe's that carries it. Since 10% degrades faster, I'm not convinced it would actually be cheaper, but I'm drifting over to the bleach prices thread.

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by gbod View Post
    They even have easy to use "chlorinating liquid!"
    That is funny!
    Above ground soft side Omega pool
    20 feet diameter, 4 feet deep
    Hayward sand filter
    Hayward 1 HP Matrix pump
    Hayward Aquabug Automatic Pool Cleaner

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320 View Post
    Took some hunting....

Pool stuff is not on the Clorox page, it's here: http://cloroxpool.com/msds-info/

That "shock" is just trichlor and boric acid and soda ash MSDS Since it has trichlor, yes, it has stabilizer.

Another complication to confuse new people.
    What about calcium, it doesn't say calcium free?

16. Back To Top    #16

It doesn't contain any calcium, at least none is mentioned in the ingredients list.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

17. Back To Top    #17

I read about this in Pool and Spa News a several months ago. You can read about it here;

http://www.poolspanews.com/chemicals...pa-market.aspx

i was thinking at the time that this will confuse a lot of people.
    Gunite/Plaster pool at 13k gallons. All Jandy with CL340 series cartridge filter, 1.5 HP Jandy Stealth pump. Jandy 1400 SWCG and PDA4 controller. Dual waterfalls. Polaris 280. Pool installed August 2012. Southern Louisiana. And lets not forget my trusty TF100 test kit!

18. Back To Top    #18

That Pool and Spa News article is very telling:

For one retailer, the main worry is consumer confusion. “My first concern is that customers might go back to assuming they can put Clorox [bleach] in their pools, which we try to educate them [against],” said Susie Hoskins, co-owner of Olympia Pools in Fort Wayne, Ind.
    Oh the horror of people using Clorox (or any other brand of) bleach in their pools! That cat is out of the bag. So long as there aren't additional additives in it (e.g. thickeners, scents), bleach is bleach whether it's from a grocery store, big-box store, or pool store. Chlorinating liquid is just concentrated bleach. So buy what is affordable, convenient, and/or ecological (reusing/exchanging bottles).
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"