Pump Sizing for Xstream 1500 Filter

Mwjman1

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 22, 2012
Hello All-

First, it's been a while, thank-you for the advice and guidance, going into my second full season of BBB and things are going well. The LQ setup and heavy duty direct wired timer have made taking care of the pool a lot more enjoyable. :cool:

The pool was originally purchased with a Hayward XStream 1500 filter and 'heavy duty' 2 HP timer pump. I had experienced several cheap flex hose blow outs (which I attributed to cheap hoses), which caused me to hard pipe the entire setup (well worth the time, IMHO) with 1.5" PVC. :goodjob:

In getting ready to open the pool for spring (yes, it just snowed here in the Midwest a week or so back), I have been reading and learning - it appears my pump might be about 2x larger than what is really needed. It does vacuum really well... :confused:

I ready a little on service factors, full rated, uprated, in ground pumps, above ground pumps, this rated, that rated - probably more time than needed. Which, BTW, the Hayward PowerFlo just says SPL as a service factor and apparently that means they really don't have to list one as it is a special purpose motor - and is definitely not really a 2HP motor based on the AMP draw. It ends with TFP.COM, hopefully today. :rolleyes:

I am thinking of downgrading to a 1HP PowerFlo Matrix or a 1HP PowerFlo Matrix with 2 speed. Any thoughts on the configuration? The original pump was purchased with the pool as a kit, not knowing what I know today - thanks to TFP - I would have never have opted for the 'Heavy Duty' pump option.

The pump is only about 5 years old, still runs - is it worth swapping out with a proper sized pump now that I have been 'schooled'?

Thanks in advance.

Stopped at the local pool store for some liquid chlorine and some new seal, while I was there, I asked the about the pump size - they said, normally a 1.5HP is plenty, but that 2HP will work even better. Bigger = Better = Nice sound advice, eh?

Then he asked me if I wanted some fresh 'test strips' = priceless.

Folks, digging into the pump, lots of rust on stator and a squealing bearing. Based on what I've read, it might be more cost effective to replace the pump then to find a shop that can press the bearings back on properly.

Am I going 1HP or 1HP 2 speed?

Sent from my RM-877_nam_att_205 using Tapatalk

Most often here, I see people going with the 1hp 2sp. Search a bit, thee are several write-ups about the why and how it will save you $$ on the electric bill.

If the pump wet end is still in good condition, see if you can find a motor to fit.

I have not had good luck finding a motor, anyone have recommendations on where to purchase motor only? What I have found is around $210, I can get the entire pump for $265, delivered, just does not seem like a good deal when I will still have to purchase a seal kit and possibly impeller, assuming it is different from what I have.

Got new pump late last week, rounded out the long weekend hooking up the plumbing and changing out the twist lock to a heavy duty receptacle for the new smaller and motor and fired it up - and it leaks. Popped the strainer basket off and put some jacks lube on the o-ring, everything looks fine, but it still leaks. Ugh. Any advice other than exchanging the pump?

At least I did not take the cover off yet.

Hi There,
DId you find the source of your new pump leak? Likely if you could provide a bit more info about the pump and the leak, we might be able to help you better.

What brand and model is the new pump?

What do you mean exactly by "it leaks"? Is it sucking air with bubbles in the basket?
If there are bubbles in the basket, you can try running a water hose around all of the fittings and around the lid. When the water flows over wherever the leak is, it will be sucked in. It will be quite evident when that happens.

And also, a pic is worth 1000 words. If you could post one of your pump and your plumbing that would also help.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.