Questions for my pool

Camo81

May 21, 2014
Texas
I am new to owning a pool. We have an Intex 12x24 pool. It has been set up for 2 weeks. We are using a SWG. All of my test are fine except pH which was 8.2 and TA which was 330. I used the "pool calculator" to calculate how much muriatic acid was needed. It suggested 52 ounces. I added 32 ounces and retested. TA was still at 275 the following day. I'm needing it at 60-80 with a SWG. My water looks great! It's not cloudy at all like many things I've read with high pH and TA. I run my sand filter for 6 hours and SWG for 5. Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated!

Welcome to the forum. :wave:

Lowering TA that high should be done by reading the article on how to lower TA up in Pool School. You will find it is a 2-step process of aeration and acid repeated over and over.

Adding acid alone is not the correct way to permanently lower TA.l

Welcome to TFP!! You will get lots of good advice here from some very knowledgeable folks. First thing to do is order one of the recommended test kits, a tf-100 is the best value or the taylor k-2006, both of which are at tftestkits.net then start reading pool school. There's a button at the top of every page.

Welcome! :wave:

Here's how that works: Acid lowers pH and TA. Aeration raises pH without affecting TA. So you keep bouncing between high and low pH, within the comfort zone. And each cycle, the TA stays down.

Devise some way of aeration and you can speed the process up. People have built spray things out of PCV, set up a sump pump and a lawn sprinkler, all kinds of things. A bunch of kids will aerate like nobody's business. If you have to add refill water, don't just drop the hose in; use the spray nozzle to churn up the surface. The more you aerate, the faster the pH rises, and the sooner you can add acid again.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.