Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Questions for my pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Questions for my pool

I am new to owning a pool. We have an Intex 12x24 pool. It has been set up for 2 weeks. We are using a SWG. All of my test are fine except pH which was 8.2 and TA which was 330. I used the "pool calculator" to calculate how much muriatic acid was needed. It suggested 52 ounces. I added 32 ounces and retested. TA was still at 275 the following day. I'm needing it at 60-80 with a SWG. My water looks great! It's not cloudy at all like many things I've read with high pH and TA. I run my sand filter for 6 hours and SWG for 5. Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated!

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Questions for my pool

Welcome to the forum.

Lowering TA that high should be done by reading the article on how to lower TA up in Pool School. You will find it is a 2-step process of aeration and acid repeated over and over.

Adding acid alone is not the correct way to permanently lower TA.l
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP!! You will get lots of good advice here from some very knowledgeable folks. First thing to do is order one of the recommended test kits, a tf-100 is the best value or the taylor k-2006, both of which are at tftestkits.net then start reading pool school. There's a button at the top of every page.
    Pool size: 24000gal inground Vinyl-Taylor k-2006 and k-1766 test kits and-speed stir
    Intermatic P1353ME digital timer w/freeze sensor
    CircuPool Si-45 SWCG System
    Polaris 280 vacuum/Polaris PB4-60 boost pump
    Pentair IntelliFlo VS 3hp Pump--Pentair sand filter

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome!

Here's how that works: Acid lowers pH and TA. Aeration raises pH without affecting TA. So you keep bouncing between high and low pH, within the comfort zone. And each cycle, the TA stays down.

Devise some way of aeration and you can speed the process up. People have built spray things out of PCV, set up a sump pump and a lawn sprinkler, all kinds of things. A bunch of kids will aerate like nobody's business. If you have to add refill water, don't just drop the hose in; use the spray nozzle to churn up the surface. The more you aerate, the faster the pH rises, and the sooner you can add acid again.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks for the help. Looks like I should run my pump more often to aerate once I test my pH and get it down to around 7.0.

6. Back To Top    #6

I ran an aerator for the better part of last summer --it got my pH up quickly. I took it out towards fall so my polaris wouldnt get tangled up in it. I put my swg in this spring and have no need for the aerator any more.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/cmvhnu7myawt2iy/DSC_5885.JPG
    Pools and grandkids are wunnerful thangs!
    Pool size: 24000gal inground Vinyl-Taylor k-2006 and k-1766 test kits and-speed stir
    Intermatic P1353ME digital timer w/freeze sensor
    CircuPool Si-45 SWCG System
    Polaris 280 vacuum/Polaris PB4-60 boost pump
    Pentair IntelliFlo VS 3hp Pump--Pentair sand filter